Skip to main content

Interview !

-- Writer's Interview --

Today's interview is with Aurora Lightbourne - a Sci-Fi/ Fantasy writer who lives in Midwest, USA with her husband and furry kids. She is currently working on a futuristic adventure series, Space Trippers. http://alightbourne.netau.net

Q: What motivates you to write?

A: I love telling stories, if I am not writing them down I am entertaining family and friends with funny stories and conversations. I had to be a writer because I have this overwhelming urge to get the stories and people in my head down on paper to share with others. The people living in my head want their story told.

Q: How do you spend your writing time?

A: Curled up on a couch with a laptop, Sisson's Synonym finder and internet search, swamped by cats and listening to my Husband play video games. This is my typical writing time. Occasionally I get time to myself and spend it in blissful silence or listing to instrumental music, talking and songs with lyrics tend to distract me.

Q: What is your favorite genre of writing?

A: I must say, although I write 'Sci-Fi' I am not a huge Sci-Fi fan myself. I like a good fantasy story, a little romance and a good bit of humor. But sometimes my characters just live in a spacey kind of world, so I write Sci-Fi. If they live in a medieval kind of place I write Fantasy. But I consider Sci-Fi as a type of Fantasy, just with more metal and gadgets.

Q: Do you write only non-fiction? Or fiction?

A: I only do fiction. There is already enough of real life to go around, so I try to create some fun escapism. I like to make up fun new people and places and tell others about them. There are a lot of stories rattling around in my head, but all of them are fiction.

Q: What keeps you writing while getting rejection letters or struggling with writer's block?

A: I love writing and I love my stories. I write the books I want to read, that keeps me going, to see what will happen next. If you are only writing to get someone's approval, then you will get discouraged and quit. If you are writing for you, because you love it and you love your characters and have a tale to tell, then you will write no matter who reads it.

Q: Do you use certain tricks that help prevent you from straying from a goal?

A: I re-read my books a lot. It helps inspire me again, gets me back into the story. If it is a stand-alone, work in progress, then I read my notes and relive the inspiration that keeps me on track and motivated to finish the story.


Find Dave & Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio shows & free resources & articles at www.brummet.ca


Comments

  1. Another great interview Aurora. So true that re-reading your own books helps to keep you inspired :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everybody! I will be checking here for any comments or questions...or for those playing my crossword game:
    ( http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=157735&id=353549514705&ref=nf )
    Thanks for stopping by! A. Lightbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody! I will be checking back here for your comments, questions and for those playing my crossword game. I sent to to email me too. So lets have some fun! Aurora Lightbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Aurora on creating a great story that bring a fresh and interesting concept to series books.

    Marian L. Thomas
    Author of Amazon Bestseller
    Color Me Jazzmyne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Marian. I try to keep a bit of mystery going in each book so people have things to learn and discover as the story continues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandi, I know, have to get a re-fresher sometimes. Also, I forget what I already wrote too, so I have to re-read to keep from repeating too much. And with the series I have to remember what has and has not been revealed, and what each person knows so far. ;o}

    ReplyDelete
  7. A.
    I liked your answer to the question, What keeps you writing. All too often people only do things to please others and they get burned out on life! Keep up the good work and I'll see you in the pages of "Trippin'"
    Kristie Mae Hoshauer Reynolds - Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristie, yep, you gotta do it because you love it. Not for anyone else. A.Lightbourne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet