* Today's article was written by: Leon Grant, who has performed a series of interviews with many companies providing home based business work opportunities around the world. From all these interviews he established that though online home business has a lot of drawbacks, but proper maintenance can prove highly successful and profitable.
-- Managing a Home Based Business --
Many people bear a perception that operating from home would give them ample freedom like sleeping in late, having long leisurely lunch and lounging around in pyjamas during working hours. But this thought needs a little reconsideration as working from home may offer a lot of flexibility, but as it's a professional work it should be treated in a skilled way to get optimum results.
Every individual should learn the best work-at-home practices to see quick success. These practices include setting proper working hours, avoiding distractions, having a dedicated office space and dressing in office attire. These aspects would definitely keep you focused and have a sharp mind-set which will ultimately bear fruits of your hard work. Your personality, critical thinking, organizational skills and ability to block distractions can surely prove to be highly effective as well.
There are certain ways following which can help establish a well maintained workspace. This can be done by minimizing different homebound distractions that you generally come across.
1. Try to establish your office, in a spare room or a noiseless corner of your house which can dedicate for only business works.
2. Purchase a commercial computer and decorate the space with some office furniture. Mount a discrete business phone line with voice mail and answering machine services.
3. Before you start-up your company and hang the signage you have to be sure about whether your municipality have any regulations that disallow online home business or not. As there are some societies which doesn't allow certain types of businesses like the ones that create a lot of traffic or one that have staffs working on-site.
4. In case your residence office doesn't reflect your appearance as a professional, make provisions to fix off-site appointments with clients.
5. It is also very important to clarify to all your visitors that you maintain strict systematic business hours and your commercial computers are prohibited from casual use.
6. If you are having a sole proprietorship business, you must claim your home-office deduction on the annual tax returns. While doing so you must be sure that the office space in your home is the only principal place for your business and daily operations. As an office outside your home won't fetch you any deductions.
All online home business owners who practice keeping records, performing a large amount of administrative or management activities and scheduling appointments and meetings can only qualify for tax deductions. This would also be applicable even if the business owners doesn't see clients or customers in their offices. But as the Internal Revenue Service Commission inspects this kind of deductions keenly you need to be very sure to follow each and every statutory rules and also maintain accurate records.
Award-winning authors Dave and Lillian Brummet: