Skip to main content

writing



-- Quote of the Day --

"The world is waiting for you
to figure out what only 
you can contribute.
Take as much time as you need
to find the answer, 
and then get started on it." 

~ Chris Guillebeau



-- Writing --

The following is a little story of my writing experiences...
A little over 20 years ago I had the wonderful luck of meeting my husband Dave in beautiful BC (the south western province of Canada) and we began our career as professional writers in 1999 with a dedicated effort to benefit the environment and society in some way. Dave’s computer, graphic, photography and editing skills has played a vital part in all three of our published books, which makes us a perfect team since my talents fall in the genres of research, draft development and marketing skills.

Dave and I have written three non-fiction books: Purple Snowflake Marketing (2nd edition will soon be released), Towards Understanding and Trash Talk. Trash Talk is an environmental guide that shows readers how they can save money while making their community become a more prosperous, attractive and healthier place to live simply by seeing waste as a resource. Purple Snowflake Marketing is our own marketing plan put into book format for other authors to use as a guide to create their own unique marketing plan for each piece they write. Towards Understanding is a collection of 120 chronological poems that depicts my early life: being independent at the age of 13, how I overcame various traumas and grew towards understanding the value of life and my place in it.

At first, poetry was a tool that I used to release pent up emotions that were religiously hidden from the rest of the world. I found, that over time, I could actually learn to heal through the poetry. When I took on the project of organizing the masses of poems written on various loose-leaf pages, I discovered there were over 300 poems. Occasionally, I became brave enough to share a poem to a few people, who were quickly brought to tears and encouraged me to enter contests. After much hesitation and contemplation, I relented and nervously entered a contest; my poem won an Editor’s Choice Award and was printed in a hardcover anthology book. In time, my poems were published in five of these types of books, before I began submitting to magazines, newsletters and a few newspapers. Eventually, I was ready to face my dream of seeing the poetry in a book format. 

With Dave’s and I gleaned out the most angry and upsetting poems, and those that were not fit for reader’s eyes… thus creating the manuscript for Towards Understanding – which was accepted by the first publisher it was submitted to and was released in November, 2005. Since then my poetry has been published internationally, I’ve had the pleasure of being invited to participate in hundreds of interviews and have shared my poetry on radio shows to thousands of listeners. It has been an amazing experience!



Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio shows and free resources and more at: www.brummet.ca

Comments