Skip to main content

World of Writing & Conscious Dating


-- Quote of the Day --

“…When we are totally out of ego (in dating) and are being totally realistic – and this might mean examining our expectations and programming. Then we can focus on energy and chemistry – How do we feel when we are with that person? …If we wear body-shaping clothing, poof up the hair, wear more makeup… we are not being ourselves – and makeup isn’t always good for the environment. …Today, a more natural look is sexy; being more comfortable with ourselves, just as we are.

~ Jill Crosby 

Today's quote originates from the Conscious Discussions Talk Radio show episode that aired back on March 10th titled: Green and Conscious Dating Tips

* Click on the hyper-linked title to access the full discussion.

-- World of Writing Interview --

Nora B. Peevy has a B.A. in English with a concentration in Creative Writing from Cardinal Stritch University. Originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, she now lives in Dallas, Texas, with her two bearded dragons, three cats, one Cuban Anole, one turtle, and her husband. Spending her time stalking zombies, werewolves, vampires, and other creepies, she has been previously published in numerous publications. Check out her blog:
The Demon Stole My Pencil @:
 ...and her site:

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

In the third grade, I met my creative writing teacher Mrs. Krahn. She introduced us to Roald Dahl’s James and the Giant Peach. I was enthralled with the tale and eager to write my own. She presented my piece at a national teacher’s conference that year. That tiny bite of fame had me hooked and I’ve been writing ever since.

What makes a good story?

A good story takes me on a journey where I am rooting for the characters. For me there’s no difference in the word “writer” and “storyteller”. You can have a degree in English or writing, but it doesn’t make you a writer. What makes you a writer are the stories you tell. A story can have a happy or sad ending, as long as it has a well-written one.

What makes you write in certain genres?

I have a B.A. in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. In college, I read mainly the English Canon, which I liked, but I missed so many good authors out there because they don’t fall into the accepted classic categories. After undergraduate school, I toyed with the idea of being a poet and entered graduate school with that major, but it just didn’t feel right. The books I enjoyed reading in my academic days off had zombies, vampires, fairies, and suitcases with teeth that walked, so a year or two out of undergraduate school I started writing speculative fiction. I’ve never been so happy.

Do you insert your own characteristics in your writing?

I think this is something you can’t avoid. A piece of you is in every story you tell, though it may not be so obvious to anyone who doesn’t know you well. My writing is cathartic, even if there’s a monster or two in it. Those monsters may not have teeth in real life, but I often work through my troubles in print, and those are the stories people have enjoyed reading the most. So yes, a piece of me is in each story.

What are your favorite publicity activities?

Right now, I’m doing my publicity online using Facebook, book sites like Goodreads.com, and my blog, The Demon Stole My Pencil. I also joined a writing forum, Critters, where I have met writers to start networking with.

Who are your favorite authors/poets?

My favorite poets are Emily Dickinson, Elizabeth Bishop, Walt Whitman, and Frank O’Hara. There are too many authors to name, but a few are Clive Barker, Kim Harrison,


Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blogs, and more at: www.brummet.ca

* Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and remember... every sale raises funds for charity as well!

Comments