Skip to main content

Joys of Nature

-- Quote of the Day -- 

 
"The tulip and the butterfly
Appear in gayer coats than I:
Let me be dressed fine as I will,
Flies, worms, and flowers exceed me still."

~ Isaac Watts



 Ah the joy of viewing nature. One of the things about gardening that keeps me going is simply watching things grow. Plants constantly amaze me with starting out as one little brown hard lumpy seed, to producing an amazing array of colors, leaves, heights, textures, flowers - each providing the earth with a service: each feeding and nurturing other life, each giving back even at the end of their lives to help improve the quality of the soil. 

I love watching the different colored insects that come along throughout different times of the day - and birds too. Butterflies of different sizes, amazing color displays... iridescent bees and so on. I often discover a life form I haven't heard of or seen before and that sends me running to the book shelf or to the online search engine to learn what I can about them. 

When camping and hiking I've sometimes brought identification books with me to try and figure out what the plants or mushrooms or trees are. I'm not terribly knowledgeable because I often forget what I looked up last year, or before that even... but I enjoy the process.

Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well! 


Comments