OK - here is a 2-part discussion on environmental or green jobs that may interest people looking for a career change toward something that makes a difference in the world. Check out the resources and feel free to pass on the link to these 2 posts. Part 2 will be published on September 3rd.
50 Awesome Scholarships For Eco-minded Students
* Written by Raj Prince
But that's where the misconception ends. In fact, there are thousands of eco-friendly organizations that also offer college scholarships. So if you're one of this crowd and would like some assistance to finish a rather expensive university degree, you're in luck. A lot of groups and institutions are watching out for the next eco-minded student to grant awesome educational opportunities.
The most awesome scholarships for eco-minded students are, surprisingly, just right under our very noses. You may approach the following organizations and institutions for general scholarship opportunities.
1. The environmental divisions of the college or university where you are applying.
2. Civic organizations and local community groups
3. Major global environmental groups, like Greenpeace
4. Government agencies that focus on natural resource and environmental issues
5. Local and national science fairs and contests
6. Private business organizations and media outlets that support environmentalism
7. Organizations that advocate conservation
8. Waste and waste management firms
9. Charities that offer environmental programs
10. Annie's Homegrown Sustainable Agriculture Scholarship - Students engaged in food and agriculture related courses and study programs could be awarded around $2,500 to $10,000.
11. Ben Meadows Natural Resource Scholarship - This is open to junior and senior high school students interested in the likes of urban forestry, agro forestry, natural resource management, wildlife management, fisheries management, and other related subjects. The organization simultaneously awards two scholarships worth $2,500.
12. The Garden Club of America - Three $2,000 scholarships are offered to students who want to take up environmental studies during the summer.
13. The Switzer Foundation - Offers a $15,000 fellowship to graduate students already taking up environmental studies and would want to expand their range. Open to students from California and New England.
14. The Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship - Offers two $5,000 scholarships to students who advocate vegetarianism.
15. Beulah Frey Environment Scholarship - Offers an additional incentive of $1,000 through a contest among applicants who want to major in an environment-related subject.
16. Surfrider Foundation Scholarship - Offers three merit awards to students in good standing and who are already members of the foundation. One undergraduate gets $2,000, Masters level gets $3,000, while PhD gest $5,000.
17. Institute of Ecosystem Studies Research Experiences for Undergraduates - Offered to 8 to 12 undergrads who want to conduct research on an ecological topic. The program runs for 12 weeks, from May to August; and students are given a $4,800 stipend.
18. SCA Conservation Internship
19. NNEMS Fellowship Program - offers eco-students the opportunity to join in a fellowship project. It's sponsored by the Environmental Education Division in the EPA Office of Children’s Health Protection and Environmental Education.
20. Brower Youth Awards - Named after environmentalist David Brower. Six young environment activitists are each awarded $3,000 plus a one-week gathering in San Francisco, to attend the Bioneers event and join an overnight backpacking event. Open to students 13-22 years old.
21. Morris K. Udall Scholarship - Offers $5,000 scholarships every year to 80 undergrads who are looking to enter environmental studies and native health care. Students will also be sent to Arizona for a one-week leadership conference.
22. Windstar Environmental Studies Scholarship - Founded by singer John Denver and Thomas Crum. Awards one $1,000 scholarship to a graduate student, and two $500 scholarships to undergrads (junior and senior students)
23. Dr. W. Wesley Eckenfelder Scholarship - Offers a $3,000 scholarship for environmental science, chemical, civil and environmental engineering students.
24. Middlebury Fellowship in Environmental Journalism - Awards $10,00 in reporting and board & lodging expenses to budding writers engaged in environmental writing, including face-to-face trainings and ongoing support throughout the year.
25. Nicodemus Wilderness Project Apprentice Ecologist Initiative - Offers $500 to 13 to 21 year old students upon completion of an apprentice ecologist project.
Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!