Skip to main content

World of Writing, Interview #34

 -- Chatter --

Well, I'd like to start off today by saying thanks for letting me take a few days off this month - I feel much better. My house is clean, laundry mostly done and my head is relatively clear and ready for the next bout of To-Do's in the office. It has been snowing lightly the last few days - although it is a bright sunny morning right  now, there is almost 2 inches of white covering the ground right now. Not quite enough to break out the snowshovels ...just yet.


-- Brummet's in the Media --

 http://www.keybusinesspartners.com/blog - drop by this blog to find the interview with Lillian Brummet about the World of Writing! - host Terese Morrow
 
 
-- World of Writing --

We love to feature other writers on our blog - today is the 34th World of Writing Interview that we have done so far. Our featured guest of the day is Kirstin Roisin - a very happily married, stay at home mother, who has two little boys. Kristin has been writing since junior high, loving all forms of the written word, including poetry, short stories, scripts and even music, but only in the last 6 or 7 years, has had the inspiration, and support, to actually have her works published. And now, that dream is coming true! Find today's guest at: www.kristin-roisin.webs.com


Q: What is your proudest writer moment?

A. My proudest moment as a writer, to date, has to be the moment I closed the last wire-bound notebook. I still hand write my books, before transferring them to the computer. I remember sitting there, and as I closed it, my then boyfriend, asked, “What’s the matter? Why are you stopping?” and all I could do was smile and say,  “Its done.”

Q: What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

A. When I’m writing, especially about this particular series of characters that I’m focused on now, when I’m doing their dialog, I have to talk it out. If I can’t portray the emotion I’m looking for through the spoken word, then I can’t portray it in my writing. There have been many a times, when I’ve been writing, and talking through the dialogs, and I’ve been asked by various people, “What? Who are you talking to?”

Q: What has been the most surprising thing you learned from creating your books?

A. Amazingly enough, I’ve learned to believe in myself even more than I did before. There are always nay-sayers, when you strike out to pursue whatever dreams you might have. And even though I loved the stories, and the characters I’d created, there were moments when I thought, maybe I’d be the only one who’d love them. Afterall, I am a bit biased. But I pushed through, and shoved aside those thoughts, and realized that this was -my- dream. And if I only ever held one copy of my book in my hand, that was all I needed to see it through.

Q: How many books/stories have you written?

A. I have 1 published book, as of right now, and I’m currently working on the second book of that series. I wrote a lot of short stories, plays, poetry and music while I was in school.

Q: Do you have any suggestions to help others become a better writer?

A. Read what you write. After you finish a chapter, read it. You’ll find sometimes, your brain works faster than your brain. I would paragraphs with half a description missing, because I was busy trying to catch up to my thoughts. And find someone you utterly trust, and read it outloud to them. I found two things would happen. First, as I read, I would find typos, or grammar errors that I’d missed just reading it to myself, or that spell/grammar check would miss. Second, I could get their take on things. Just because it sounded good to me, or made sense to me, doesn’t mean it will come across the same way to others. Afterall, I already know how the story ends, or why my characters are doing what they’re doing.

Q: Do you hear from your readers? / What do they say?

A. Actually, I do get feedback from my readers. So far, it’s all been very positive. They love the characters, and the world I’ve created for them. One of the best comments was about how one reader was nervous about the book, because it’s not their normal genre. At first, they didn’t understand a lot, but they pushed through a few chapters, and suddenly, everything clicked into place for her. Before she knew it, she was telling people that if they couldn’t find her, she was probably hiding in the bathroom, so she could read in peace.



Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blogs, and more at: www.brummet.ca 
* Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or purchasing a book - each book sold raises funds for charity as well!


Comments