Skip to main content

World of Writing today

  -- Quote of the Day --


…A good play is liberating because it takes you out of your own voice - and forces you to speak in your character's voice. …There are two pleasure points in play-writing. One is the writing - and the other is sitting in the audience and watching the audience respond to what you’ve done. But in between these two pleasures, is some pretty nasty stuff (he laughs) called auditions, rehearsals, design meetings…” 

~ Gordon Osmond

Today's quote comes from the Conscious Discussions Talk Radio interview that aired back on March 1st with Gordon:




 -- World of Writing Interview --
We have a World of Writing interview with children's author Bruce Lawley, his site is: www.animazings.com

Q: How have your books gotten published? What was your path to publication?

This is my first published book; I have self-published it. I chose this route as it was the only way I could guarantee its publication in the way I wanted. Rather than spend my time chasing ever-elusive publishers, I chose to put my effort into getting the book done. It was a steep learning curve but I can now confidently publish more books, without sacrificing control or profit.

Q: What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

I have a lot of writing quirks to be honest. These are the two of them. 1) I come up with the idea & title simultaneously… for me the two things are one and the same, without a title I don’t have a clear image of the finished product, the end goal I aiming at. Once I’ve got the title the story flows. 2) I write in rhyme more naturally than prose. It’s the rhythm and timing that interests me, how it sounds when read out loud.

Q: What has been the most surprising thing you learned from creating your books?

That a publisher is no longer necessary to bring your book into existence. Great if you can get one, but not the end of the world if you can’t. Obviously a publisher has a bigger marketing budget, more distribution channels at their disposal and the ability to get your book into bigger and better stores. All I’m saying is, if you’re tired of being told ‘no’ by publishers, you can do it yourself. The tools and the means are out there.

Q: How many books/stories have you written?

I have written a number of children’s stories, including the following two in The Animazings series, but this is the first one that’s been published. I have also written a few screenplays and short films.

Q: What business challenges have you faced as a writer?

Creating the book is only the beginning, the start of a long process. Getting people to know about its existence and convert this awareness into sales is the real challenge. Without a marketing budget and costly advertising campaigns to support it you have to rely on positive reviews, word of mouth and digital media to create buzz and excitement. Challenging stuff!

Q: Do you hear from your readers? What do they say?

Yes, I do. Fortunately most of the feedback has been extremely positive. A lot of the feedback comes from the kids themselves via their parents. Also I get to read reviews customers have placed on Amazon and other online retailers. It’s always a huge thrill to see a new review from a satisfied customer. The Animazings website also encourages feedback and pictures form readers.
 


Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blogs, and more at: www.brummet.ca

* Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or visiting the Brummet's Store - & remember... every sale raises funds for charity as well!




Comments