Skip to main content

Business Strategy & World of Writing Interviews



-- Conscious Discussions Talk Radio --


* Airs live @ 10-11 AM (Pacifc)  - Chat room open for live listeners - all episodes are archived indefinitely within moments after they air live, and are available for you to listen to later on at any time of day.
Sign up via itunes for the Conscious Discussions Radio show: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id262138144     
  Joining us we have: La Mancha Sims – founding partner and CEO of Triton Business Group Inc., which focuses on finding unique ways of raising capital for small businesses. La Mancha has over 15 years of experience in financial consulting and aiding small to mid-size companies. In the past he did a stint as a navel officer touring the coasts of the US for about 8 years. As a married man and father of two, he still finds time to be active in the community and helping inner city kids understand the fundamentals of entrepreneurship.



 Access the live (10-11 AM Pacific) or archived episode:
 


 
-- World of Writing, Interview --


Scott D. Roberts is the writer, producer, and co-director of the award-winning documentary, “Gas Hole,” narrated by Peter Gallagher. He is also the executive producer, writer, and co-host of the monthly segment, “Gas Hole of the Month” which airs on FSTV. He wrote, produced, and/or directed two reality pilots in the last three years, "Giving, Celebrity Style," starring Melinda Clarke ("Nikita," "The O.C.") and "Ted & Jason: Building an Empire," featuring the hair stylist to the stars, Ted Gibson. He’s written over 50 screenplays and TV shows during a career that spans over 20 years and has had his projects optioned and/or developed by New Line, Warner Brothers, Paramount, MGM, EUE/Screen Gems and Columbia. He is excited about his first novel, Vengeance is Now, and sharing his writing style with an entirely new audience. Find out more at: www.vengeanceisnow



Q: How have your books gotten published?

A: I was fortunate enough to have a resume in the film and television world, including the documentary I wrote, produced and co-directed titled, Gas Hole. The publisher knew I had a little following and had read some of my notes when I coached a few writers in their stable. They wanted to know if I was interested in writing a book and Vengeance Is Now was born. I had been rejected by publishers ten years ago for a children’s book I wrote so the thought of sending queries had never crossed my mind again. I truly appreciate 3L Publishing for taking a chance with a first time novelist.


Q: What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

A: I’m a big advocate of, “there are always two sides to every story.” Keeping with that theme, I will write a chapter with an event or conversation that happens in the book and then turn the same event or conversation around and hear or see it from a different character’s point of view. A certain plot point that might be perceived one way is really fun to take it in a completely different direction from someone else’s vantage point. I use this quirk a lot in Vengeance Is Now.


Q: What has been the most surprising thing you learned from creating your books?

A: Coming from film and television, a common criticism or note from producers or a director would be “less is more.” You do everything in your creative power to trim exposition in a script to “show not tell.” Writing the book allowed me a lot more creative freedom to paint a picture and create a world using as much exposition as I felt was needed to tell the best story. Having said that, you will notice that I still use the philosophy of “less is more” and I feel by being true to my roots it allows for a quicker, faster read. That is what I want when I look for a crime thriller. A fast, exciting read.


Q: How many books/stories have you written?

A: I have written over 50 screenplays and TV shows over my 20 years in the business. I also have over 20 story ideas for books broken down into 3x5 index cards. Whenever I get a different idea for a scene or chapter, I will pin that story idea to a cork board and write out plot points on cards and pin them under the story idea. I’ve had friends enter my office and notice every wall covered with pins and 3x5 cards and question my sanity. Sometimes it appears as if I’m trying to solve a murder or hunt a serial killer.




Q: Do you have any suggestions to help others become a better writer?

A: I think as an artist we are naturally turned off by criticism. We think we have the greatest story idea in the world and it’s completely original and no one has ever heard of it or seen it before. When we write out the story we see the movie or scenario play out in our heads but sometimes it doesn’t necessarily translate to the page. I was told by an executive at Warner Brothers that if an individual reads your work and you still have to explain the story or idea to him/her after they’ve read it – then it didn’t work. It sounds simple enough but I know writers that are very stubborn in this situation. My suggestion would be to truly open up to constructive criticism. Find a group of people who don’t know the plot or idea of your book and have a reading. In my opinion, that is the best way to hear how people perceive your writing style, characters and plot points.


Q: Do you hear from your readers? / What do they say?

A: I really enjoy hearing from readers and that’s why I have a website, Facebook page and twitter account. These are the people buying your books so I’ve always felt compelled to listen to what they have to say. The two favorite compliments as a writer that I’ve heard about Vengeance Is Now? Readers couldn’t put it down once they started reading it and they had absolutely no idea who the killer was when it was revealed. Those were two goals of mine when I started writing the book and I feel satisfied every time I hear them.
For more information about Vengeance Is Now, including the book trailer and reviews, please visit (www.vengeanceisnow).
  


Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!

Comments