Skip to main content

World of Writing, interview




-- World of Writing -- 



Yes, it is time for another World of Writing Q&A interview! Today we have a very special guest Joszann St. John. This author writes across many genres and has published multiple titles. She offers a new and unique voice dedicated to inspiring and empowering others through her extensive body of work. She credits faith as the major influence in overcoming some of her previous challenges. Joszann is also a mother of two children whom she considers to be the greatest motivators in her life. Connect with her via: https://www.facebook.com/joszann.stjohn


Q: How have your books gotten published?
A: I started blogging in 2008, and in 2009 I received an invitation from Xlibris Publishing.  At the time I was experiencing, severe personal crises. My work included numerous poetry pieces, on life, nature and my personal experiences. I used to tell my friends, that I was ‘pregnant with poetry’. It was a natural transition to publish my first book of poems Wounded Bird No More. I have funded the publication of all my books, and made many personal sacrifices over the years as I pursued my dream of becoming an author.
Q: What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

A: I wouldn't necessarily say I have a quirk, though I like tranquility when I write. Inspirational music is also a boon to my senses. There are times when my characters speak to me; there might be something that they want me to share about them. For example, when I wrote my first novel, McKenna of Dreams and Substance, I was writing a restaurant scene in the Caribbean, when it was impressed upon me to include, a little girl, peeping around the doorway.


Q: What has been the most surprising thing you learned from creating your books?

A: Ever since I was a little girl, I had always loved books and reading, and an inner voice would urge me to write. It was a very long time before I did anything about it. I emigrated to Canada in 1996, and my life diverged from what I had originally imagined. It was the breakdown of my marriage and divorce that compelled me to pick up my pen. I did want to write, but until I did, I didn't know it was possible. As a self published author, I've experienced many challenges, but my new found voice has helped me to be more assertive and persistent.




Q: How many books/stories have you written?

A: I have published five titles to date. Two books of poetry: Wounded Bird No More, I Want to Give My Love to Thee; one children’s: Carla Saves Her Village; two novels: McKenna of Dreams and Substance, and most recently Sonnets in Waking Moments 

Sonnets in Waking Moments, has been my most demanding assignment, thus far. Going in, I had no knowledge of the Great Depression era.  At times, I wanted to shelve the whole project, but I’m glad I persevered, and today it is truly rewarding for me to be able to share this work with a global audience.


Q: Do you have any suggestions to help others become a better writer?

A: I think most of life processes, including writing, involves some period of learning. Every writer must improve upon his or her game. There are so many talented writers, authors, and bloggers from every walk of life. We have something unique to teach each other, so learn all you can about the writing craft. Oscar Wilde said, “Life imitates art far more than art imitates life.”  I believe great writers, draw on their personal experiences and are able to connect with the reader on a more emotional level. 


Q: Do you hear from your readers? / What do they say?

A: I try to blog every day, and I’m very active on social media. As I interact with readers and other audiences I share my message of hope, empowerment and inspiration.  The comments I have received that resonate most strongly with me range from: “Thank you, I can relate.” to “I’m not alone.” 

Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!

Comments

  1. Thank you Lilian and Conscious Media Blog for hosting me as part of the virtual book tour celebration for my novel, Sonnets in Waking Moments. I look forward to meeting your audience and interacting with them. I welcome their comments and would love to respond to any questions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet