Skip to main content

Book Reviews, Contests & World of Writing Interviews



-- Brummet's in the Media & Book Contests--

I am thrilled to announce that an interview with me and the host of the Stephanie Loves blog, Stephanie Gamverona was published today. We discussed the world of writing, challenges in the industry, advice for new writers, the query process and more:


* Be sure to enter the draw to win a copy of the book- Towards Understanding (print, 1st edition) before April 30th!

--

Also, published today - is a book review on Trash Talk: It's Easy To Be Green e-book series. Check it out on the Minding Spot Blog, run by Wendy Hines:


--

...and just a reminder... scroll down to yesterday's post to enter the Green Week Contest on the Juniper Grove blog where you can enter to win a number of prizes, including a copy of vol 1 of the Trash Talk: It's Easy To Be Green e-book series.

-- World of Writing Interview --

Our featured guest today is: Grace Hatton - a nineteen-year-old, best selling author and teen entrepreneur. As an immigrant she has had to overcome a lot of adversity in her life and now she give back through her books and business. Grace has traveled on mission trips to South Africa and plan to set up charities in Africa.  She has been featured on numerous TV and radio shows and magazines. In fact, Grace is the CEO of a new national online magazine for young women: Miss Moxie (www.missmoxieonline.com). This magazine promotes a true sense of beauty, strong character and making a lasting difference in the world.  Her debut book is titled: The Guys, The Roses and the Regrets - The Girt-to-Girl Dating Guide.  Find Grace at:  www.gracehatton.com 

Q: What motivates you to write?

It’s a mixture of two things. The first thing is love. I love writing with everything I am. It is an expression of my soul and very addicting. I’ve been writing since I was twelve and my love of it has kept me going ever since. The second thing that motivates me to write is the people I write for. When I wrote my book “The Guys The Roses and The Regrets” I was constantly thinking about the potential readers of the book. I knew the words I was writing were important and powerful for young women. I couldn’t be selfish and give up. If you think about your audience instead of just you when you write it will motivate you to keep going no matter what. 

Q: How do you spend your writing time?

In all honesty I am not a very organized writer. I write when inspiration comes which could be at 3a.m in the morning. The only thing I always do when I write is listening to movie soundtracks. I am especially in love with Hanz Zimmer’s work. It always inspires me when I am writing. 

Q: What is your favorite genre to write in?

My favorite genre is fiction. I adore writing prose, creating stories and new worlds. I have written fourteen full length novels so far and I am always writing more. 

Q: Do you write only non-fiction?
As I said fiction is my favorite genre but I also write non fiction. I have written a self-help series for young women. The first book in that series was “The Guys The Roses and The Regrets”. I enjoyed the process of writing non fiction. Although it was more challenging. I had to force myself to sit down and write specific chapters at specific times. That kind of structure was new for me but in the end it all worked out. 

Q: What Keeps you writing while getting rejection letters or struggling with writer's block?

It’s my audience. I am constantly thinking about them and the work I want to produce for them. I have so many young women tell me how much my book has helped them and inspired them to have healthy relationships. That knowledge is what keeps me going despite rejection or any hardship.
Don’t think of writing as a selfish sole profession but rather a public vocation. You are doing a service to the people who want to read your work. Write for them, not you. 

Q: Do you use certain tricks that help prevent you from straying from your goals?

A really good tip I received from another author was to create a vision board of sorts about your readers. Figure out what kind of readers you are trying to reach, make a vision board with their descriptions etc and put it near where you write. Every time you look at that board you will see your audience and why you are writing. It will motivate you to stay focused and achieve your goal. Outside of that setting a specific time to write can help to keep a writer on track.



Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blogs, and more at: www.brummet.ca

* Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or visiting the Brummet's Store - every sale raises funds for charity as well!


Comments