Skip to main content

world of writing interview



 -- World of Writing Interview --

It is time for another World of Writing interview... this time we have children's author, Diane Robinson... a resident of Alberta, Canada. Her debut work is a children’s chapter book - Sir Princess Petra - being published by Tate Publishing in Oklahoma. Check it out at: tatepublishing.com



Q: How would a good friend describe you?

Diane: My friend would first say that I definitely think and live outside the box. That would explain my creative nature. Then she would say that I live happy and am a true friend.  That I care deeply about the world: the poor and starving people, the environment and the abuse of Mother Nature, and cruelty to animals. She would say the last part because I’m always hitting up my friends for a donation to my current cause.

Q: What are your long-range and short-range goals and objectives? How do you plan to accomplish your goals?

Diane: My short-range and long-range goals have been the same for most of my life.  I have a strong need to make a difference in the world. I’ve been involved in several third-world-mission projects and on-going projects in India.  This kind of work has been a part of my life for over 25 years and probably always will be.  My objective is to make the world a better place and incorporate some goodness in my children’s books.  I plan to write and publish more books that are of a good moral value, to continue to inspire children, and to be an inspiration to others around me.

Q: How do you determine or evaluate success?

Diane: Success for me is of a personal nature. It’s not about a ton of money or becoming famous. It has more to do with knowing I’ve made a difference in someone’s life and the world in some good way. Whether it be the poor people I try to help, the numerous pets I adopt, the re-cycling projects I start up, or the children I write for, these things have already created my success.  And knowing that children will read my book and admire the characters who overcome their challenges by being good and strong—this is very rewarding and what I call success.

Q: What inspires you?

Diane: The forest, good books, meditation, music, children, riding my horses and being around my dogs, and creating art. I paint pictures, mostly huge canvases, and this is a very liberating way to get into the zone, the artistic zone, which then allows me to write. All of the above inspire me in different ways. Being around children inspires me to think like a child, and therefore write with the heart of a child. I teach art to children. Their minds are uninhibited by the problems of the world and children make great artists.

Q: What is your opinion of the world today?

Diane: The world is slowly losing its magic. The magic that should be getting stronger with all our intelligence , the magic of love and peace and compassion.  After all history has taught us of wars, cruel leaders, disrupting nature in consequential ways, the lessons haven’t been learned.  So many people are focused on money and greed and ruling the world that many more important issues are being ignored.  Issues such as our human impact on Mother Nature, and starving people in a world of riches and abundance.

Q: What is your contribution to society?

Diane: I sincerely hope I will have helped to make some lives better during my lifetime.  I have been to Central America on five separate dental missions to do free dentistry for the poor. For the past 15 years, I have been working with an organization that does projects in northern Indian. Projects such as starting up tea plantations, buying cows to start milk farms, building schools and sending kids to school. These projects help make a difference for the whole village where they’re implemented.  It is also my mission to inspire children, by teaching them art and writing my books.  I hope I bring some magic back into the world and I admire all who do.


Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blog, and more at: www.brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or visiting the Brummet's Store - every sale raises funds for charity as well!


Comments