Skip to main content

Recommended Resources



Recommended Resources

As many of you know I'm a big fan of TED.com talks... and made a deal with myself to complete all the lectures they had. Yes. All 410 or whatever pages ...and there's what, 48 lectures per page... something like that. I've never actually counted. Anyway, I've watched them all. The oldest, the latest. Took me a couple years as I watched/listened when I was doing dishes and scrubbing down the kitchen, dusting or folding laundry etc. Those chores that don't require one's mind. I even did yoga quite a few times choosing TED.com over music. Anyway, that was quite the feat for me, and I've been sharing all the ones that moved me the most, inspired me the most here on the blog whenever I could. There's a few left in my blog content files and today I'm sharing a few of them.

I want to start with David Damberger - who worked with Engineers Without Borders and even founded the Calgary (AB, Canada) chapter of that organization, eventually traveling to Southern Africa to consult on various agriculture, sanitation and development programs, while working with governments and NGO's. He then co-founded Ethical Ocean, an online retail company focused on ethical and fair-trade goods. In this emotional lecture, he reveals - almost like a confessional - how international aide groups make the same mistakes over and over again - and how, if they admitted and shared their mistakes with other organizations, they could have a much greater positive impact in the future.

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_damberger_what_happens_when_an_ngo_admits_failure

--
As a senior NASA scientist, Bilal Bomani focuses on developing new and truly sustainable biofuels. After receiving two masters degrees from Cleveland State University, he earned his PhD in computer engineering from Case Western University. He currently runs the Greenlab Research Facility in Cleveland, Ohio, where he works on creating biofuels that don’t use freshwater, and meet his definition of green: sustainable, renewable and alternative.
https://www.ted.com/talks/bilal_bomani_plant_fuels_that_could_power_a_jet

--

…this next resource here might offer a good opportunity for a “positive, conscious living” reality check for our own lives... – showing the amazing, positive changes we have seen in our lifetime and are seeing every single day all around us… if we look for it. This inspiring talk  underlines the focus that Dave and I try to celebrate with our work… that the individual really does matter, what you do at home matters, what you buy, what you say, what you think all matter… each moment is a chance for us to look for ways to create the positive, conscious living, greener culture we want to continue to see.

Check out this amazing, 10 minute video with Nate Garvis who talks about how we have created a better culture, are still creating one, but more of us need to think about how we are contributing to a better culture. https://www.ted.com/talks/nate_garvis_change_our_culture_change_our_world#t-621019


~~

Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca

~~


Comments