Skip to main content

free art lesson




* Written by: Liz Clayton Fuller: Scientific 
Illustrator and Course Instructor 


In times like these we could all use a bright spot, and thankfully, nature is always there for us. The world keeps turning and the birds keep singing for us, so I’ve found myself taking my sketchbook into my backyard to appreciate the small yet oh-so-important things. When I’m nature journaling, my mind relaxes, wanders, and wonders. 

When I open my sketchbook, the noise of the world fades away and I’m left opening my senses to the natural world around me. Practicing Nature Journaling and Field Sketching keeps me rooted in the exact moment I find myself in, recording the tiny details of a plant pushing forth from the earth, noticing the cool pale grey colour beneath the wings of a Mourning Dove, listening to the wind rustling through the trees—and for this time my mind is at peace, pondering the intricacies of nature. I wonder why the underwing of the dove is such a cool grey compared to the warm hues of the rest of its body. As I mix colours on my palette, I’m focused on which yellow to add to create the perfect spring bud green, and in that moment—nothing else.

Nature journaling and field sketching require you to be still and present, observing your environment closely with all of your senses. In this way, these activities can be a warm respite from these trying times we find ourselves in. While we are staying in place, I encourage you to take the time to appreciate wherever you find yourself through art. Creating art in your nature journal will provide you with an escape from the world and help you open up to discovering things you may not have noticed before in your own backyard. Now more than ever, let’s find things in nature to appreciate.

*Click to access
Visit the Lab's Facebook page to see our growing photo album of artwork submitted by people enrolled in this self-paced, online course.


~~ 

Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca

~~



Comments