Skip to main content

ADD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia - explained

Help I have learning difficulties, can I still write a book?

* Today's article was submitted by Elise Brooke - a former nursing manager, author, blogger, busy mom... she manages a full schedule, that is for sure. Elise has been writing for 25 years, has published 4 books and holds a creative writing diploma. She contributes articles to this blog fairly often. She is also an entrepreneur who would love to help you on your writing and publishing journey. She specializes in discovering strategies to organize your book or writing idea, leverage your time and get your book written so others can gain and learn from your experience. Elise invites our readers to connect with her anytime:
 @:  elisebrooke 771 @. gmail. com (remove spaces)

What is ADD and Dyslexia?

ADD stands for Attention Deficit Disorder. You may have heard it referred to as ADHD. This is similar except the H stands for hyperactivity, which I did not have.

ADD is a condition where one has difficulty paying attention and with impulses. It often begins in childhood and can persist into adulthood. It can contribute to low self-esteem, troubled relationships, and difficulty at school or work. Medical treatment can help, but this condition cannot be cured.

To the person with ADD, it feels as if everything is happening all at once. This creates a sense of inner turmoil or even panic. The individual loses perspective and the ability to prioritize. He or she is always on the go, trying to keep the world from caving in on top.

Dyslexia is a learning difficulty characterized by difficulty in reading especially. This condition can not be cured.  Dyslexia occurs in people with normal vision and intelligence.

Dyscalculia is a mathematics learning disorder. People do not outgrow dyscalculia.  It can be as hard to learn addition as it is to learn algebra. Basic concepts like quantities are also a challenge. Dyscalculia can make it hard to do everyday tasks cooking, grocery shopping, and getting places on time.

I was never diagnosed growing up, as was so common twenty years ago. It was clear from an early age that I was a little “different” as my mother put it. I was behind socially and could not make sense of all the social skills and rules. I did not pick up well on social cues and never felt I fitted in anywhere.  I loved and still do anything arty and being creative, these things flowed well and came fairly easily and naturally to me. Anything academic, though, such as spelling and maths, was a constant struggle.  I could read, but was well below the reading age of my peers and my writing skills were average.  Spelling let me down and maths was like a foreign language to me. I did not learn well in school all the way through. I could not fit into the boxes. The education system let me down terribly all through primary, intermediate, and most of high school. Everything from paying the bills on time to keeping up with my work, family, and social demands seemed overwhelming. I did not feel anyone could understand what I was up against.

It wasn’t until I was an adult that I realized my mind just did not think the same. After tests and research, I discovered I had ADD, dyslexia, and dyscalculia. This did not mean I was dumb or could not learn. It meant I had to learn new ways of learning that the education system failed to show me.  So began my journey of relearning spelling, math, reading, and social skills in ways that resonated with me.  My daughter too was diagnosed with ADD, dyslexia, balance problems, and Irleins Syndrome. Through what I had learned about myself, I could spot the signs and help her too.


~~
 

Visit the Brummet's Main Website

Find them elsewhere online HERE 


~~


Comments