Skip to main content

Author Interview


World of Writing  -  Author Interview



It is wonderful to have another Kootenay-based author join our blog for a World of Writing interview. Today we have the honour of interviewing fellow Canadian author Tanya Christenson - a teacher and elementary school counsellor who, like Dave and I, resides in Creston (BC). She is also a mom and stepmom to five children and most recently loves being Nanny to two grandchildren. She and her husband enjoy life in their home on the mountain with their two yellow labs. Tanya is the first-time author of the recently released young-adult novel - A Soft Place to Fall (Red Deer Press - Oct 27, 2021).

Tanya invites our readers to drop by her website to access alist of teacher resources to help with difficult childhood experiences: www.tanyachristenson.com or visit her at Facebook & Instagram @tan.christenson.





Q: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
  


I always wanted to be a teacher. My mom operated a daycare centre in our home, so I always had many “students” in my class when I played school. Throughout high school, I continued with this plan to go to university so that I could become an elementary school teacher.





Q: It is interesting that you knew from the beginning that this career was in your future. Were there any particular situations or people that influenced you re: the realm of education as a career choice? 

It was a very natural choice for me. My dad was a teacher, principal, and later a superintendent and my mom operated a daycare in our family home. I grew up surrounded by kids. I remember doing my homework and they were all gathered at the dining room table around me, chatting and colouring. 

I became a lifeguard and swimming instructor as soon as I was old enough. I did this job every summer for eight years, throughout high school and university. This experience prepared me well for a teaching career.


Q: What was your favourite book when you were a child?

I was not much of a reader as a child. My older sister was the reader and it bothered me that she was ALWAYS absorbed in a book and never available to play. I did have a fascination with Peter Pan. I loved the idea of Never Never Land, yet was terrified at the thought of the Darling children leaving home to follow Peter Pan there. I didn’t like to be away from home, so the book gave me nightmares…yet I loved it at the same time.

As a teen I loved Lord of the Flies. I have always been interested in the human psyche. I loved how this novel exposed the possibility of what could happen to a group of young people when no structure existed for them. It’s a book that pops into my head often when working with students. A reminder that, as much as young adults yearn for independence and freedom, a sense of security and structure is necessary to guide them there safely.


Q: When did you realize that you WANTED to write a book?

Since the beginning of my career, I’ve been writing this story in my mind, wanting to share my thoughts quietly. 

I’ve always felt a strong connection toward the students who really don’t want to be at school. Or sometimes they really DO want to be at school, but they have so much going on, they act like they don’t and make teaching them very challenging. It’s always been my goal to help them feel safe and cared for, to help reduce the behaviours that are interfering with their ability to learn and connect with others. It’s been hard for me to watch other students and adults struggle with these challenging students because I have so much empathy for them. 

This book is my quiet way of communicating my feelings and ideas. It’s what I know to be true.



Q: Would you mind sharing the journey to finding the right publisher for your unique situation? 

Finding a publisher was a lot of work. I didn’t want to self-publish. Each publisher has a different request of what needs to be submitted. So, researching the requirements and writing query letters that met each specific publisher’s criteria and sending the chapter samples in, was a tedious process. I think publisher’s are swamped with submissions and when you don’t have an agent (like me), I really don’t believe they give new submissions much time, because they just don’t have the time to give.

I received many rejection letters, and it was always disheartening, but I was determined to keep going. Eventually I received one rejection letter, but it had feedback and suggestions. This letter was from Peter Carver at Red Deer Press. Ironically, I had read a lot about this editor and Red Deer was my top choice. Because he offered some insight and had clearly read my manuscript, I said to myself, “This is the man! This is the publisher. I will work until he accepts my book.” And I did just that. I wrote, and re-wrote, and re-wrote again. I followed his advice. And then….anxiously…I submitted directly to him, AGAIN. I explained that he had rejected my first submission two years before and I also outlined all of the things he suggested I do. I shared how I did that. And I waited…and waited…because publishing a book is an agonizing experience of patience, which is not something I am good at.  Nothing!  I eventually sent another email, checking in. Peter replied and said he had recommended my book for their Fall publishing season, but we were entering a world-wide pandemic and could I be patient. And patient I was! A year and seven months later, I am holding my book. It was a LONG haul!


Q: What age group did you write for?

The book is geared for young adults (12+). However, adults will enjoy it just as much. I also know teachers will find it valuable and I hope some will use it as a novel study.

 
Q: Why did you write for this particular age group?

I wrote this book for teens because I want them to understand that, even if they’ve had little control of their past, they can control their future. They can choose to push through life’s obstacles and get to a place they want to be. Negative experiences don’t have to ruin them. They aren’t a sentence for doom. That pain can help them grow stronger, wiser, more empathetic, if they make the effort to choose a healthy path.


Q: Did you find it difficult to choose the right language, images and writing style for reaching this age group?

The characters became very real to me. They were so real, that the language came easily. It was almost like acting; I became the characters as I wrote. I felt what they would feel, I thought like they would think, I spoke like they would speak. I am a teacher and a school counsellor, so it’s how I imagined things to be, based on my own life experiences.


Q: What is a small joy that you celebrate often?

After a day at work, I love walking the mountain trails behind our house with my two yellow labs. I’ve done a lot of writing in my mind on these trails. It’s where I disconnect from my job and move onto writing. I usually get ideas and inspiration as I walk, which makes it exciting to sit down and write.

I also love being Nanny to two grandchildren. These little guys bring me great joy. It’s so much fun, just hanging out and playing. As a mom, you are always balancing many responsibilities. As a grandparent, nothing else seems to matter at the time. You can be fully present and play. Who cares about the laundry or cooking dinner.

I also LOVE camping with my husband. One of my very favourite things to do for sure.


Q: Is there anything in your book that is based on a real life experience?

The whole book is based on my own experiences. Although all the characters and the story are a work of fiction, everything connects to my life and what I have learned from it. It’s also based on my observations of people — how they think, respond, and feel in certain situations — my perception of them, anyway.


Q: Why did you feel this book needed to be written?

I want people to see the bigger picture, have greater empathy, take some time to show more care, reach out a little more, even when it seems you are being pushed away. Most kids are so accepting of differences now, but when it comes to challenging behaviour, there is much less tolerance. I know firsthand how frustrating it is to be a student or teacher or EA in a class, when the negative behaviour never seems to stop. A lot of students will avoid difficult kids, sometimes out of fear. It’s tough to notice anything else about the student, other than what you see on the outside. Try and look a little more deeply, though. What is the behaviour all about? It’s communicating something to us, but we have to make the effort to understand it. 


~~

Visit the Brummet's Main Website

Find them elsewhere online HERE 

~~


Comments