Skip to main content

poetry time


Poetry Time




Today we are featuring a poem excerpted from the book Collateral Intentions by Constantine Dhonau. Constantine is sharing a few poems with us between August 12th, October 23rd and today. He also dropped in for an interview back on December 18th. He would love for you to visit him via: 











The Poet Tree (by Constantine Dhonau)



What is the price of poetry?

What is the economy of inflated meaning?

The narrow nature of supply and demonstration depleting the resources of rhetoric 

 

Question

Mark, for the sake of argument

 

Say that the cost is lost, and we poets are left to 

Barter

Banter

And batter each other with words of

Intellect

Simile

And assimilation

 

Mark met a four-dollar poet, once

 

Mark, a litter-rated garbage poet, himself

Once questioned

Just

Justin

Justin Four Dollar

 

Mark questioned 

Just in four dollars 

How did you become so valuable?

To the scene?

To poetry?

Look at me

I am just…

A mark

 

"Just a mark?" Justin remarked

A Questioning Mark!

Once, I met a mark that merely 

Exclaimed!

And I found his droll to be lame, untame

So emotionally unrestrained that I could refrain from

Punctuating. 

Him. 

To the point of no reserve

And in return, justice was served 

In just four pence

 

"Just a mark?" Remarked Justin 

My four pence grew to four dollars 

Thanks to you

 

And in just four dollars, Justin Four Dollars became valuable

The gold standard of the Poet Tree

 

Thanks to you

A Questioning Mark

With inquisitive, critical eyes

Do not criticize yourself 

 

Thanks to you, Question Mark

In just four dollars, I overcame blind exclamation 

I discovered and disrobed what was covering up 

What I knew deep down

 

Thanks to you

I know my value

I owe you a debt so great

You are not worthless

You are, without question, Mark, invaluable.



~~
 

Visit the Brummet's Main Website

Find them elsewhere online HERE 


~~






Comments