Skip to main content

Poet interview

 
 World of Writing - Poet Interview



A. A. Fouch is a poet and writer born and raised in Washington, currently living in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (USA). She has never been one to be tied down! Her writing interests include children's literature, picture-books, (including her published work, Gently, Bentley!), high fantasy, sci-fi, and accessible academic writing. When she is not writing, you will find her teaching in various capacities to all ages, including art, nutrition, and dance. She is an avid fan of C.S. Lewis, podcasts, and chocolate.
Follow A.A. Fouch @:  https://twitter.com/aafouch and drop by her blog: aafouch.blogspot.com

Q: Would you self-publish?

A: I am currently self-published, which has its pros and cons. You must do all the leg work in promoting your own work, but you have absolute authority over your work, which is very important to me. Many, if not most, of the people I care about in life are not poetry readers or readers in general. My goal is to craft words and designs that capture the heart and imagination to create a palpable and visceral experience with the text. Readers take for granted that they can simply pick up a book and get a wonderful feeling or an epiphany, and I strive to bring those hard-to-access experiences to my readers as much as possible. 



Q: Do you feel like you can do more with poetry than prose?

A: Poetry is much more musical and impressionistic than prose. It can, if written well, provide a condensed version of a feeling or idea which takes very little time to read. It can also be more easily memorized, much like lyrics. I have always felt that poetry is just on the cusp of something “beyond words” and pays more attention to rhythm and sound. As poets, we can “get the rhythm” of meaning into someone. It may register with their heart through its musical sound long before the meaning touches their mind. 



Q: What is the main focus of your poetry work?

A: My poetry is usually focused on obscure moments that are often overlooked in life, moments in which I had a deep inspiration or a flash of thought or something that I’ve noticed which I see that others have not. I am always trying to point out the odd glimmers of light, the nooks and crannies of life that are filled with perspective and meaning. I also love academic writing, and poems often give me a final outlet for an academic idea that has been rolling around in my head for a while. I find that the poems are more accessible to people and having been distilled down from long hours of thought and research, I hope they feel weighty and poignant! 

Q: Do you still have the first piece you wrote?

A: Oh goodness… Well, I do have the first little “book” I wrote when I was seven. My mom typed it up for me (in Edwardian script, as requested) and I put it in a little pink binder that I’ve held onto forever. That book sits in my huge bin of juvenile writing and every year around my birthday I pull it out and remind myself of all the promises I made to myself and to God, mainly that I would try to write all the things I was supposed to! 

Q: What is your typical workday like?

A: Currently, writing is not my full-time job, so I have to fit it in around both a very busy schedule and health issues. My main goals are to write at least one book a year and to write one meaningful thing (poem, phrase, bit of story) each day. I have some wonderful fellow writers and artists in my life that I am in groups with who keep me motivated. I also am on Twitter just to be a part of the writing community there. I’ve never wanted to gain a lot of followers, but I often use Twitter as a plumb line to see if I’m tapping into a good idea. If people give me good feedback, I mull the idea over and might work on it more. 


Q: 
What, in your opinion, are the most important elements of good writing?

A: I always look for books that treat the reader with dignity and intelligence, aka, good vocabulary, and innovative perspectives. However, I don’t like it when someone tries to “be original” just for the sake of standing out from the crowd. The literary legacy invites you to join the conversation of those who’ve gone before you. Our works are all variations on themes of the beautiful, good and true. I also love it when someone can create a feeling or an impression of a place in my mind without being heavy-handed or didactic. The writers who tread lightly and thread ideas like silk are the ones that allow their readers to feel very fine emotions. I think these things are achieved by honesty, humility in receiving inspiration for stories and poems, and a commitment to crafting beautiful sentences. 


Q: Tips for reading poetry out loud?

A: First, pay attention to the function of the poem. Is it sad? Is it confused? Is it joyful? Try to match the tonal quality of your voice to the function of the poem. Check your pacing. If the poem is meant to feel rushed, read faster! If the poem is contemplative, don’t be afraid to linger over words. Look out for the syllables or consonants. If the poem is syllable-heavy, it usually calls for a longer, legato-style reading. If the poem is consonant-heavy, it may call for a more staccato reading. Sometimes, it is helpful to sing a poem to yourself before reading it so you can hear the underlying musicality and translate that in your speaking voice. 



~~~ 

 Discover Our Books on Amazon: https://amazon.com/author/lillianbrummet 

 Find us online via these landing pages: 



~~~ 

Comments

  1. Thank you Ms. Fouch for dropping by to share your experiences !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for having me Lillian! I hope you are having a wonderful transition into the fall season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the garden is slowing down somewhat - on purpose - and I'm feeling some relief lol It is always a pleasure to feature your work :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet