Skip to main content

Author Interview



World of Writing Author Interview


Phoebe Leona is a dancer, speaker, yoga teacher, and transformational guide who helps us feel more embodied to become more empowered in who we are, who we are becoming, and our having a greater sense of belonging. 

Her company, nOMad, helps others through their own transition and the spaces in between. One of the ways Phoebe gets the message out to a larger audience is through the NOMAD Youtube channel which offers meditation, yoga and interviews. Find today's guest at: https://phoebeleona.com & on Amazon

*A note of gratitude goes out to Kim Weiss and Erin Nicole Conti (of PRByTheBook.com) for connecting us with todays guest.






Q: Why don't we start by having you tell us something about yourself? 


A: Well, I like to say I am a very dynamic person. I am constantly discovering new things about myself and writing has been a huge part of that unfolding for me. At the essence of all of my work, it has been to share a deeper human experience with people. 

This has been through my many paths that include the path as a professional dancer, a yoga/movement teacher, an entrepreneur leading a heart-centred transformational company, as well as a writer. 

I have always been curious about the energies that are present but not spoken and how to find ways to go beyond the words. I guess as a writer, I ironically choose to play with words to get to that possibility. 

I love how the Aramaic language isn’t about what you say but how you breathe it, and I guess through all of my various paths, I am on a mission to reclaim that.



Q: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

A: Honestly, I think I am just figuring it out! I have been on many paths and it seems like the things that I am really meant to do, like writing, always chose me to some extent. As far back as I can remember, I was always going to be a dancer. I would also write in my diary from the time I started to write too but it wasn’t something that I really thought about as a career path. Writing then, was just a way to make sense of my world. 

Being a yoga teacher found me too. I remember my teacher told me after a year of studying with her that it was time for me to become a yoga teacher, so I did it. When social media became a thing, I would write little reflections and unpack some life stuff. People seemed to resonate with it especially when I was going through the loss of my dad and my divorce so I felt called to tell my story in a bigger way for people. 

So writing, then, chose me and I am loving it!



Q: Why did you decide to write?


A: As I mentioned before, I always wrote in my journal as a child as a way to make sense of my world for myself. I wrote but not for others. The shift to writing for others was really through the experience of sharing on social media as I was publicly processing my story and I saw how it was a teaching tool and an opportunity for connection which is how it became more intentional. It was no longer me writing about “me” but it came with a clarity that sharing my story was in service to help be an elixir for others who might be suffering quietly on their own story and through that gave them permission to feel it, reflect upon it, and make choices to change, if necessary. When I made that connection, my WHY was clear, I had to write my story to be in service.



Q: What do you do when you are not writing?


A: A lot! I run my own company, The nOMad Collective, where we offer transformational retreats, experiences, and trainings. In addition to that, I am teaching, mentoring, speaking publicly, dancing, playing, hiking, traveling, and enjoying life with my friends and family. I am grateful that I have a dynamic life and the freedom to do a lot of the things that bring me joy.



Q: Where do you hope to take your writing in the future?


A: I would love to write another book in a few years. The purpose of my first book, Dear Radiant One, was to publicly unpack vulnerable moments from my childhood trauma that was a result of my father’s PTSD from his two tours in Vietnam. I would love my next book to be a celebration of my maternal lineage as a reflection of our collective maternal lineage. Ideas have been percolating but I am not rushing into it. I feel there is more to do with this book, Dear Radiant One for a little while and I enjoy writing in short form for now.



Q: Did writing this book change your life in any way?


A: It did!! Sharing these stories was liberating. At first I was nervous about how vulnerable I was and how it would be received. As soon as it was released though, I felt as if the weight of all the heaviness of my life was lifted. I felt free and full of joy in a way I had never authentically felt before. It was the freedom of my past and also the invitation for others to enter into their own stories. 

Another beautiful experience that came through the book was the healing within my family. My story was “out there” and it got us all to recognize it in a way that allowed me to release the secrets and shame that I carried for so many years while also holding the space for them to feel free in the roles they played that perhaps felt restricted for whatever reasons they carried with them..




Q: Who/what is your inner saboteur? (i.e. the haunting critical voice, inner judge, fear mongering voice echoing in the mind.)


A: Oh, good question! In my book, Dear Radiant One, I write letters to the emotions to make friends with them. All of those voices were very present as I danced through my past but also as I contemplated my ability as a writer. Fear, Self-Doubt, Shame, Anger, Chaos, Misunderstood, and so many more voices made their appearance throughout the process. 

Writing this book was actually very healing as I communicated with these inner saboteurs. What I learned was these emotions and voices simply just want to be seen, heard, and felt. Once I held space for them and witnessed them, they revealed their why and I got to negotiate our relationship over time. 

Through that process, they lost their power over me. It was quite remarkable. Of course, they still make an appearance from time to time but I know how to be gentle with them and see them for what they are.





Comments

  1. Thank you, Phoebe, for dropping in to our blog and sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet