Skip to main content

Speaker Interview

Dave and I feel so incredibly honoured to be featuring Jim Britt on this blog, where he will be sharing insider's tips, advice and stories about his journey as a speaker. He's not just any speaker... Jim is an internationally recognized leader in the field of peak performance and personal empowerment training. He has presented seminars throughout the world sharing his success principles and life enhancing realizations affecting millions of people from all walks of life.

Jim is author of 13 best-selling books including, Cracking the Rich Code, Cracking the Life Code, Rings of Truth, The Power of Letting Go, Freedom, Unleashing Your Authentic Power, Do This. Get Rich-For Entrepreneurs, The Flaw in The Law of Attraction and The Law of Realization. He has also collaborated on  a series with Anthony Robbins (motivational speaker) and Kevin Harrington (Shark Tank).

On top of all of this, he has served as a success coach to over 300 corporations worldwide. He was recently named as one of the world’s top 20 success coaches and presented with the best of the best award out of the top 100 contributors of all time to the direct selling industry. Interestingly, Jim also mentored and coached Anthony Robbins for his first five years in business, resulting in an enduring friendship to this day.

Jim is more than aware of the challenges we all face in making adaptive changes for a sustainable future, and he is here to help our audience today by sharing advice, tips, resources and more.

Visit Jim @: http://JimBritt.com  - or - Learn more @: www.becomeAcoauthor.com - & - www.CrackingTheRichCode.com - & - his long list of books on Amazon


Interview with Internationally Renowned Speaker Jim Britt:


Q:
What inspired you to become a speaker?

Jim: It wasn’t something I planned or even wanted to do. I met Jim Rohn back in 1970 when he was a trainer for a direct sales company where I was a distributor. We became close friends. A couple years later that company folded. 

About five years later Jim and I reconnected, and I joined him in business. My job was promoting Jim Rohn. I did such a great job that it really forced me into speaking. 

Over 5,000 events and about 2 million attendees later, I’m still here!


Q: Could you share a brief introduction into the types of events that you have offered?

Jim: I present events for entrepreneurs. I love entrepreneurs. They change the world. They always have and they always will.

My real passion is my Power of Letting Go event. I focus on helping folks uncover the core belief that keeps them stuck in any area of their life. 

We all have negative experiences in our past, and unlike the positive ones that we want to remember, we learn to suppress the negative ones. And every time we try and fail to uncover it, we strengthen the core belief. The real problem is that we don’t even know what the belief is. We look outside for answers instead of inside where the solution is locked away from our conscious mind.


Q: How long will we wait for your next event? 

Jim: Most of my events these days are speaking at other people’s organized events. However, I am planning a couple of my 2-day events coming later this year.


Q: What are your current goals?


Jim: I don’t really set goals like most people. I don’t write things down or create a vision board. While that might work for some, to me it’s just a form of mental gymnastics. A waste of time.

I make decisions and move on it! I don’t have to write it down to remember it. A firm decision is the foundation for anything you want to accomplish. A goal without a decision that doesn’t allow for anything less, is just wishful thinking.
A great exercise is to take a look at your last five years. Have you truly made progress? Are your last five years what you wanted? Are you where you thought you’d be today five years ago? And it not, why not? Look at your decisions first.


Q: Do you use any set formula when speaking at an event? 

Jim: If it’s a keynote for a couple hours, there is no prep or outline for me other than knowing my audience. But for the most part, people are people, and they all have issues they are dealing with. I want them to look inside and discover what’s holding them back.

I also never use a power point. Personally, I find them distracting. I just want to be myself and have a conversation with the audience. I’m not there to teach or give a speech. I am there to influence the audience into discovering what’s holding them back and making changes.


Q: How do you come up with ideas for your events? 

Jim: I have written 15 books with about 300 pages each. So, I have no shortage of ideas.


Q:  Do you have advice for others who wish to walk a similar path as a speaker?

Jim: 
  • Be confident. 

  • Know your material. 

  • Be passionate about helping others live a better life. 

  • Speak from the heart. People connect with emotions and make decisions based on emotions. 

  • You are not there to teach, but to influence behaviour. 

  • And last but not least, be yourself and let go of any need for approval or a need to control your audience. 


When you need control, 
you are out of control. 

When you need approval, 
you get none.

~ Jim Britt


Q:  What are some of your favorite memories?

Jim: Great question! I have so many great memories. But the one that always comes to mind is a 3-day retreat in Montana where I was invited to speak.
Little did I know, when I arrived, my two mentors, Jim Rohn and Jim’s mentor Bill Bailey were both speakers at the event.

Both Jim and Bill always said, that if someone shows up to speak, sit on the front row and take notes.

So, when I got up to speak, both Jim and Bill were seated in the front row taking notes. That was one of the most moving moments in my career. I couldn’t believe that my two mentors were taking notes on me!


Q: Once you arrive on-site, how do you go about organizing an event with a live audience? What things do you double check?

Jim: There's a couple things I want to be right. Room set up is extremely important. I don’t want the audience too far from the stage and I don’t want an isle in the audience centre stage. If it’s my event I set up with round tables.
The other, and most important is checking the sound system.




https://www.amazon.com/stores/Jim-Britt/author/B001IXRR2M


Q:
 Do you have advice for people who have to travel? 

Jim: Yes, I have a couple suggestions. 1. Travel first class. You’ll feel better about yourself and be more rested when you arrive. 2. Take a limo from the airport to the hotel and back to the airport. It might cost you $5 or $10 bucks more than Uber or a taxi, but again the ride is so much more pleasant.

If you are speaking for a company where you get paid a fee, always request first class flights and a suite at the hotel.

I remember once when asked to speak at a convention. They told be that they don’t fly their speakers first class. My response was, “Well, let me introduce you to a second-class speaker.” 

They paid for a first-class flight.


Q: What dreams have been realized as a result of speaking to groups?

Jim: I always wanted to help others live a better life. I have been doing this work for 44 years. I have influenced almost 2 million folks in my events and sold hundreds of thousands of books. I love hearing from readers and attendees what my work has done for them. I also know that it has a ripple effect. When someone makes a positive change in their life, others around them change.


Q: Do you still get nervous? Any tips for overcoming the stress or anxiety, jet lag... how to unwind and relax?

Jim: As far a being nervous, no I don’t get nervous before or during an event.

Nervousness comes from your need for approval. Let it go!

As far as overcoming stress and anxiety; stop trying to control things over which you have no control. That pretty much eliminates both.

I have never experienced jet lag. I think a lot of it is mental. Learn to sleep on planes. Relax.


Q: How do you manage social media and what social media have you used?

Jim: I mostly use LinkedIn for my business. I post daily videos. I usually block out a day or so a record about a hundred 2-4 minute videos. I have someone that does all the posting and follow up.


Q: For people entering into speaking - what advice would you give them re: finding gigs?

Jim: Create a one sheet on what they speak on and what qualifies them and their bio. 

Look up associations in your area of expertise and submit your one sheet.

If you are just starting out, go online and look up meetup.com and look for group meet ups that fits your profile and topics. 

The meeting organizer will be listed with contact info. 

Connect with him/her and offer to speak. They usually give you 30-minutes, and you can make an offer at the end for your product or services.


Q: Do your events involve the back of the room sales and is that important for a speaker?

Jim: Yes, back of the room sales is extremely important. If you are a speaker, I would say it is critical to have some sort of upsell to a program, online program, future event, etc.

Personally, depending on audience size, I sell future events and also digital programs. I have a four-month automated program called Cracking the Rich Code, designed to help folks change their relationship with money. It sells for $997 The program is digitally delivered so it costs me nothing to produce. If I offer a live future event, I might throw the online program in as a bonus.



"Love travels so fast that it is everywhere at once. 
All you have to do is tap into it." 

~ Jim Britt 


Q: 
 How does your family feel about the amount of time this takes away from them?

Jim: You have to set priorities. I don’t believe anyone can have a balanced life. 

To me, family has always been a priority. 

Often times I would forego an event if one of my boys had something special going on and they wanted me there. I rarely missed birthdays and special family events. 

All my six boys are well balanced, loving, successful and happy.



Q: Those are very lucky boys ! Jim, I have learned so much from you both today and also in our previous discussions; I want to take this opportunity to thank you for this and for taking the time out of your schedule to share your insights with our audience today. This will be, I'm sure, a memorable experience for me for some time to come. 

Before we close out our discussion, are there any closing comments that might benefit our readers?

Jim: Yes. Many years ago, a friend and I were speaking on the phone. Before we hung up, he asked me what I thought the word resourceful meant. I thought it was a strange question, but I said, “Maybe it means 'being more productive' or maybe 'using your imagination'.” He said, “It’s just an interesting word".

This was before the internet. So, when I got home, I looked it up in the dictionary.
Re-source-ful is defined as “Once again full of source.” I thought that was interesting depending on what the word “source” means to you.

So, I looked up the word “source.” It was defined as: “where all things originate.” Not some things  - but ALL things.

I spent the next two years trying to find another definition of “source.” I found it in a dictionary in a small village in the UK in an antique book store. It simply defined “source” with “love".

Re-source-ful  = “once again full of love.”

My point: You have one of two choices with anything you do in life. Fall in love with it or fall in fear with it.

The more I thought about it, I thought I had found a flaw. If all things originate in love where does fear come from?

An hour or so later it hit me. Fear is a made-up story. We make up all fear in our mind. It’s not real. We use love to make up fear. In other words, we fall “in love” with fear.

Learn to let go of fear and exist in a space of love. Fall IN love with that new project, speaking to an audience, writing a book, losing weight and getting fit, spending time with family, being alone, etc.



Comments

  1. Thank you, Jim, for taking the time out of your very busy schedule to be a part of our blog today. I learned so much from you, personally - and I'm certain our readers will as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet