Skip to main content

Welcome Adversity




* Today's article was submitted by Julz (Julia Vitality) - we met last year in an online networking event & have since developed a budding friendship. Her article today speaks about finding your home, where ever that is. My brother's friend, and a few of our friends, have relocated to either Mexico or Vietnam and have found their home there. We relocated further into BC Canada and found our home there. Where ever your home is, make it yours, make it beautiful !

Julz is a very professional, organized, proactive personal growth advocate & a brand visibility / social media exposure mentor, serving conscious entrepreneurs. ...she has a free gift for our readers ! She invites you to "Grab your Free Visibility cheat sheet http://PRJulz.com & check out my show http://PositiveImpact.TV."




Why I Now Welcome Adversity

There is a good reason why I chose to be a Mental Health Advocate. Life has thrown me down, kicked me repeatedly, and every time I'd get up a new challenge would come my way. At one point I did collapse with depression and anxiety, mental fog, PTSD, a new ADHD diagnosis, you name it... I was forgetting a pot on the stove, locked keys inside the house, and did all sorts of careless things without thinking. It was a dark time. I took a lot of therapy, different kinds. I stayed away from meds as much as I could, trying to find natural alternatives to the ones being prescribed. During the depth of depression, nothing made me smile, I had no hope, no dreams, I took no joy in doing things I previously loved. I was disgusted with myself for being depressed. I hated the feeling, but couldn't do a thing about it.

I also gained weight and got out of shape. Sweets were my go-to stress
management and sleep was a way to escape the sad reality. I tried listening
to some motivational stuff, and at times it made me feel hopeful, but then I
slid back into the hopeless state of desperation for someone to come and
rescue me, because I had no energy to do it myself.

ONE DAY I WAS SICK OF BEING SICK

This was HONESTLY the BEST day in my life back then. I was so disgusted
with self-pity and feeling like a victim, that I somehow snapped out of it and
started THINKING for a change.
  • I stopped listening to sad and depressing music, and I started creating playlists that uplift my mood and playing that in the background all day.
  • I started using essential oils in my house, citrus ones mainly, because they stimulate good mood. I put a little cotton ball soaked in orange oil by my laptop and sniffed it each time I had an impulse to sink back into the blues.
  • I read somewhere the houseplants do miracles for our state of being, so I went and bought some more, and also cut flowers. Seeing green around me, and having more oxygen as a side benefit, had an amazing effect on me. Then I started an InstaGram page to share positive quotes. This meant I had to research them and find a good image to illustrate it. Eventually learnt to make videos and reels to make these quote come to life. I started looking forward to the next quote. I also started following a few similar pages.
  • I forced myself to move, and to get out of the house. First, even to sit on a balcony for a few minutes, then to go for a brief walk, then do a 5-minute low intensity home workout. Before I knew it, I was doing longer, more consistent workouts at home, and my walks turned into jogging, and, eventually I returned to my past passion of running.
  • Last but not least, I started learning new skills that would help me battle depression. I was surprised to learn that we can actually control our thoughts. This was a relief, such an empowering piece of knowledge that changed EVERYTHING. I began working on becoming more self-aware, to catch my negative thoughts and replace them with something positive or get distracted with one of the tips mentioned above.


Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet