Skip to main content

World of Podcasting - Interview

Fellow Canadian Nancy Guitar, host of the Small Talk Podcast, and I met just last December but quickly became fast friends due to having so much in common and being like minded. In fact, she interviewed me on her show in February of this year, and we had such a great time that we'll do a few more of those in as time moves forward. Nancy invites today's readers to visit her FaceBook page, and listen to the incredible array of discussions on her podcast at: www.youtube.com/@nancyguitar625

World Of Podcasting - Interview
 
Q: Nancy could you tell our readers a little about your upbringing, your history?

A: I was born in the spring of 1948 in a small town Northern New Brunswick (Canada); the 3rd youngest of 12. Winters were harsh, our house was situated in the middle of a field. There was no insulation, no indoor plumbing and no central heating - as such illness played a huge role in my early years, when at 9 months of age, I was hospitalized for over 3 months. Because I was often ill, I spent a lot of time by myself and soon became known as the loner. 

It was an abusive home, as I result, I lived in a constant state of fear and anxiety. 
In 1956, at the age of 8 and one day after getting out of the hospital, our family moved to Montreal. Quite an adjustment, from a house with lots of outdoor area to play, we now lived in an apartment. But, we now had indoor plumbing, an oil burning stove and could fill a tub just by turning on a tap!

I met the man who became the father of my two children. We never married but stayed together for 25 years. We moved to Ontario in 1975, where my children were born. When that relationship ended in 1995, I then moved to the city of Chilliwack (BC, Canada). Eventually I met and married a wonderful man, who had two children of his own. We had 15 years together before he passed away due to cancer. 

Q: You are no stranger to embracing change, but you are also no stranger to the mic. I understand you've been on stage? 

A: At 52 I started doing stand up comedy with my niece. After a performance we received a call from a man who wanted to be our manager. We were so excited and set up a meeting. He arrived and it was obvious that he had been drinking. We let him know that it wasn't going to work. He stood up, puffed out his chest (he was at least 6ft,5in and weighed over 350, pointed at me and said "Let's take it outside". a pivotal moment in my life. 

We were very successful and had someone wanted to perform across the country. My niece had young children at the time, and decided she couldn't commit to the time away from her family..

I hired a young man who, unknown to me was addicted to drugs. One day in between jobs, we were in my truck when he pulled out a loaded shot gun from behind his seat. He threatened to shoot me. That was a second pivotal moment in my life. For some reason, all the previous fears I had vanished. 

I was part of the Vagina Monologues for a few years, and loved it. I was in Toastmasters and a fellow member started an improv team of which I was a part of...loved that! I was in my 60’s by then. 

Q: What can you tell us about your volunteer work with the local TV channel?

A: After my husband passed away I volunteered at Shaw TV, for their community access program. Eventually had a talk show that aired on our local channel. It was shut down, so I was with ChillTV for a while and then ventured out on my own...now here I am 73 years old and having fun!

In 2012 I saw an ad for Shaw TV Chilliwack, they were looking for volunteers. At that time they had a community access program that was featured on Shaw TV Cable 4.

Q: When did you decide that you wanted to host a talk show? 

A: After volunteering for a few months I mentioned to the person in charge that I would like to host a talk show. It took about 2 years, but eventually it began. At that time my show was called "Getting to Know You". After about 2 years, the CRTC (who had mandated that TV stations have a community access channel), changed the rules and it was shut down. The show then became part of ChillTV, an online tv station. I changed the name to Small Talk with Nancy Guitar, which has 2 meanings. A short interview hosted by a short person. 

I put out word on Facebook that I was looking for an original song to open and close the show. Barry Wilson (who I didn't know), wrote and sang a song just for my show. Many years, changes, covid later, I am now on my own. 

Q: What is it that matters the most to you when it comes to running a show like this?

A: What I love about my show is getting to know people, why or how did they make that career choice? Was there live a straight journey or did it take the scenic route.
I now have a production manager who is the person I depend on to send a reminder to guests, as I feel that is important.

One of the best and worst parts is getting to interview people for all over the world, however not always easy when it comes to booking a time, with the difference due to time zones.

Q: Who do you look up to in the industry? Who do you consider your mentors?

A: I have watched many television hosts, Oprah, Phil Donahue, Ellen Degenerous, to name just a few. 

The thing I learned form them is to try and not interrupt the guest, which I find most do.

I have also learned that  it's important to keep my question short, if it goes on too long the guest will forget what the question was.

Q: Do you make, or plan to make, money from your podcast?

A: I do this on a volunteer basis because I learn so much, and have made many friends through the show. Getting paid would be nice, but not that important because I do what I love.

Q: How do you go about promoting your show?

A:I have a Facebook page and post my show on Twitter, Tumblr, LinkedIn as well as YouTube. 

Q: Do you utilize any special equipment or depend on certain apps, resources that you rely on?

A: I was introduced to Zoom by a Facebook friend, and with COVID, Zoom has opened a whole new worked for my. My set up is where my dining room would be, I refer to it as my Zoom room.



Comments