Skip to main content

Author Interview

It is time for another World of Writing - Author Interview !!!  

Today we are honoured to feature our friend Morgan Elliott; we met about a year ago and since then we've had some really great conversations. We are proud to feature a discussion about her experiences with publishing and writing multiple books.

Texas (US) native Morgan Elliott is, she tells us: "a witchy mortal who has a passion for the weird and supernatural"

When she’s not writing, you can find her delving into true crime, watching movies and parenting. Her new book, Midnight Sin, as well as several others are available on Amazon.

Visit Morgan on via her website: 

Find her elsewhere online via: linktr.ee/authormorganelliott


World Of Writing - Author Interview

Q: Do you write in one particular genre, or do you branch out into others? 

A: I write romantic fiction. I’m a big romantic at heart. I enjoy taking my little ideas and creating worlds from them. 


Q: What motivates you to write? 

A: This is a hard question to answer. I’m not sure I’ve found my motivation just yet. All I know is that it’s impossible for me not write. Even on the bad days, I find a way to write something. It may only be in my journal but it’s still something. 


Q: Have you had and how do you handle writers block?

A: Most of last year, I had an epic writer’s block. I had no shortage of ideas, but I couldn’t put them into words. At first, I tried to push the words out, but it failed miserably. So I decided to stop trying. I journaled a lot and did a lot of automatic writing. Automatic writing is when you just write down whatever comes to mind. It’s a great way to be creative. There’s no secret to overcoming writer’s block. You just have to try everything and find what works for you. 


Q: How do you spend your writing time? 

A: Most days, I keep a loose routine. I get up and get the kids off to school. Then I clean up before sitting down to write. Usually, I’ll write at my desk or on my couch. Occasionally, I’ll write outside, but Texas weather is unpredictable. I do my best to get 1500 words out a day. 


Q: How many books have you written? 

A: I’ve written and published three books so far. Two were a paranormal romance standalone series and the other was a holiday romance novella. 


Q: Do you insert your own characteristics in your writing? 

A: Absolutely! Writing is a great way to process trauma. Every story I’ve written, the female lead has either been through a similar situation that I have or has a quirk that I do. In my first book, Onyx Flame, Paige deals with a cheating partner. Just as I did in my first marriage. 


Q: 
What has been the most surprising thing you’ve learned since creating your books?

A: How much work goes into one! I’m a self-published author so everything falls on me. 

All the marketing, all the formatting, choosing a cover, choosing an editor, etc. It’s a lot of work. 

Being an author is so much more than just writing. 


Q: Who are your favorite authors? 

A: I have so many so I won’t name them all. I love M.Robinson, JE Parker, Avery Maxwell, Ember Davis, Kali Hart, and Cassie Mint. 


Q: Do you have any suggestions to help someone become a better writer? 

A: Listen. There’s so much advice out in the world, so much help but not enough people take the time to really listen. That being said, you must understand that writing is different for every person. Go out of your way to create your own style and your own process. 

Comments

  1. Thank you, Morgan, for sharing your time & expertise with us :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet