Skip to main content

World of Writing - Author Interview



Valerie Green was born and educated in England where her love of history, writing about the past and travel began as a child. After graduating from the Journalism School in London, she worked as a cub reporter on a local newspaper. She also worked briefly at Foyles Book Store in London and at the War Office (MI5.) before becoming a legal secretary.

In 1968, she moved to Victoria, BC (Canada), intending to work and only stay a year, but she met her future husband and they raised a son and a daughter together.

Valerie continued to pursue a career as a freelance writer, columnist, and author of over twenty historical non-fiction books set in the Pacific Northwest, and true crime books.


Valerie and I met recently through the Federation of B.C. Writers organization, but she is involved in several other groups including the Writers’ Union of Canada. Her passions for heritage and heritage homes is met through her work with the Saanich Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee, the Saanich Heritage Foundation and the Saanich Legacy Foundation

Her life-long dream of writing a definitive historical novel set in British Columbia has come to pass with her debut novel Providence, the first in the 4-book series The McBride Chronicles. Check out her blog on her website, or visit her on Instagram and FaceBook.


Q: Valerie, why don't we start by having you introduce yourself to our readers?

A: I was born and educated in England with a great love for writing and history. My in-depth passion for researching old houses, buildings and travel, led me to Canada in my twenties, where I met my future husband in Victoria, British Columbia. Not sure who I fell in love with first – my husband or Victoria!

Q: That sounds adventurous and fascinating! When it comes to writing, do you feel that you chose that profession consciously, or did it come naturally to you?

A: From the age of 6 I knew I wanted to be a writer - so I guess it chose me. I can’t imagine doing anything else. But if life had taken me in another direction, I might have become an archaeologist. Digging into historical research for writing books is very similar.

Q: Our passions seem to fall in similar directions. I've been fascinated by archaeology and biology since childhood, but the pen (or keyboard) and I were natural partners. I struggled, however, with self love and self confidence and slowly overcame that as I heard from readers how my work positively impacted them. What are your favourite memories in your career as a writer, Valerie?

A: Actually I have two memories that stand out. When I wrote my first little story as a child and a friend of my parents typed it for me. I honestly thought it had been published and I was thrilled beyond words. Well I was only 6!

Much later, as an established writer, a new writer told me that one of my books Upstarts and Outcasts had inspired him to write. I felt honoured by his words as he went on to write a few very good books before he sadly died recently.

Q: So let's talk about your historical novel series. I imagine there must have been a lot of behind the scenes research for a project like this. Can you share a little about how you found resources?

A: My main resources are Archives, but even more important in my opinion is reading. Read, read and read! I also enjoy interviewing seniors and bringing their memories to life. This has been so helpful in writing both non-fiction and fiction.

Q: I love that you have interviewed seniors and bringing their memories to life. I once wrote an article about how writers can make a difference and this was one of my suggestions - recording and writing out interviews while volunteering with Hospice, at hospitals or senior centres. You and I have seen a lot of changes in the publishing industry and I'm curious about your thoughts on how your career has evolved around these changes. 

A:
 Things have changed drastically since I first started my career in the late 1960s/1970s. Those were the days when writers delivered hard copies of their stories to editors. My first published book in the 1990s, a non-fiction history of a famous British Columbia family, was published without any of the bells and whistles available today.  

I have always been fortunate enough to find a traditional publisher for all my books and have not had to explore self-publishing so I know little about that. The hardest decision for me was trying to find a publisher for my fiction – a four-book series The McBride Chronicle. Again, I was lucky and the first book in the series Providence has recently been released by Hancock House Publishers, in Vancouver. 

Traditional publishing takes a lot longer, but it then leaves me free to simply WRITE rather than having to worry about printing and distribution etc. But even traditionally published authors have to promote their books – which is not easy for me as I’m a bit of an introvert!

Q: What do you turn to when you are not writing, or doing behind the scenes activities involved in your world of writing?

A: I walk. My husband and I take short road trips. I also enjoy photography and playing my piano. (I’m learning again!) And the best of all is spending time with our two grandsons, ages 6 and 9, who keep my husband and I young.

Q: That really does sound like a wonderful, warm life. What is your work schedule like?

A: In a word – erratic! My best work is done in the morning in my office, but I also have a lot of brilliant ideas late at night (or when I’m trying to sleep) so I have to write them down in case I forget them! I also write book reviews for the British Columbia Reviews (Ormsby Reviews) on-line magazine, so I try to do my necessary reading in the afternoons or in bed before going to sleep!

Q: That's fantastic! I also did a 7-year stint as a professional book reviewer for a couple of outlets many, many years ago. It was, in fact, a great time for me. I enjoyed coming up with a unique formula for the reviews, something that made my reviews recognizable. I also enjoyed the challenge of describing and rating the material without giving too much away. The books, too, were then donated to literacy orgs. It was a great time for sure, great memories. So, Valerie before we close today's interview lets talk a little about writers groups. As you know I run one called Monday Writer Meet-up, for local writers via Zoom - and perhaps we'll see you there one day too. You and I met through the Federation of BC Writers organization. I know you've been a part of other groups as well, and as such I'd like to ask you to share some of your experiences in having memberships with various writers groups.

A:
 I did belong to a few writers’ groups in my early career, but as an introvert who prefers to write alone and not discuss my WIP (work in progress), there is only one group that has lingered now for over 30 years. We were a small group of about twelve initially but only seven of us have remained and weathered the years together. 

Two of us are traditionally published authors and the others have self-published cookbooks, party books and activity books for the elderly. Today I am the only one who is still actively working as an author, but we have all stayed together because we became friends rather than just a “writers’ group.” We are more of a support group for one another now. We meet every month in each other’s homes or in restaurants, but during COVID it became more sporadic, via Zoom and emails. We have been through a lot over thirty years and I love this group who still cheer me on as their “designated writer.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Valerie, for sharing some time with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. It was a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet