Skip to main content

World Of Writing - Children's Author Interview


It has been a while since we hosted a World Of Writing - Children's Author Interview, and I'm proud to publish this one here today. 

Jim Price, a newly published children book author, is our guest. He created The Adventures of Harold From The Hood series, teaching social skills to children ranging from Kindergarten to 6th grade.  His book series has been featured on ABC news NY, CBS San Diego and the morning show Inside South Florida. Jim is also a doctoral candidate at American International College and works as a school counsellor for the public-school systems. 

Jim invites our readers to drop by is website @: www.jimpricebooks.education
and visit him on Facebook.


Q: What, in your opinion, makes a good children's story?

A: In my opinion what makes a good children’s story is to have a story that captures the imagination of the child.  It makes the child want to stay engaged in the story that they are exploring. There can be lessons within those stories that can stay with children for a lifetime. The benefits of reading with children also helps steer them to use their imagination and foster bonds with parents and care providers. 


Q: What kinds of benefits come from participating in writing groups and organizations?

A: Some of the benefits that come from participating in writing groups and organizations includes being able to network and connect with others like yourself. It also gives you opportunity for promotional opportunities and to share each other's work with regards to children's books. Being able to collaborate in such writing groups and organizations can help bolster your business as an author. This can also set up opportunities for collaborating with other authors on community events that help bring families and communities together. 



Q: When you started writing this project, did you plan on it being a series, or did it grow into one?

A: When I came out when I first book, I was not planning on it being a series it did kind of just grow into one. My first book was about accepting other differences diversity and inclusion and it garnered a lot of attention which led to me looking to publish future additions to the series. Now I have three books in the series that are published, and all are built around the foundation of social skill building for children from kindergarten to 6th grade. It is fun to be able to use the creative mind to produce literature that can benefit and inspire children. 


Q: How do you plan to promote this series? 

A: The way that I promote the series is by utilizing most all the social media platforms that are available. I also have joined many book groups online to help with more of the promotional side of the book business. I also do book signings and speaking engagements to further promote the book series and my idea about children learning through literacy which is so important not just for families but for communities too.


Q: What age group did you write for? - & - Why did you write for this particular age group?

A: The age group that I wrote for is primarily for kindergarten from 6th grade. I chose to this age group because it's such an important time with regards to their social development. At this stage of development children are learning to navigate there through social interactions with others. Social skills are the building blocks for how we express our feelings, emotions, and thoughts to others and how we respond within those social interactions. This is why I chose to write primarily target this age group to inspire positive change for children and families. 




Q: Is there anything in your book that is based on a real life experience?

A: There are few things in the book that is based on real life experiences with me. The main character which is Harold the purple snail has elements of myself within the character. Elements such as the glasses are part of myself as well as high top fade which resembles a style I had when I was back in my It's not till 3 high school.  Even the sneakers of the main character Harold has symbolism back to when I play basketball in my high school days. I also was born and raised in an urban community which also factored into the writing style that I have with my book series with regards to the rhythm and rhyme kind of flow that I have with all the book in my series. 


Q: 
Why did you feel this book needed to be written?

A: I feel that my book series needed to be written because there is a need to have a children’s’ series that connects children and families together based on being able to understand each other’s differences and to embrace the difference that we all have in a way the cultivates unity, diversity, and inclusion. 

These elements not only are helpful for families but for cultivating positive connections within communities. 

Comments

  1. Thank you, Jim, for dropping in to share your experiences as a children's author with our audience :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet