Skip to main content

Keep It Organized With A Blog Schedule

You know I'm frequently asked: "How do you consistently publish a blog on an almost daily basis like you do?" As such I decided to create a blog post sharing how I do what I do as a blogger. 



I actually run 2 blogs... one is for musicians (Drum It With Brummet) where I work with my husband and business partner - Dave - to provide interesting music genre posts every 6-10 days or so. The blog I'll be referring to is the Brummet's Conscious Blog, which has been around for 2 decades now. 

Periodically, when time allows, I'll gather notes and ideas for future posts, partially written articles etc. and keep them in within the Blog Folder on my computer. When I run out of content I head over to that file and start gleaning from it. I also have, in that same folder, files of blog images ready to use. I rarely run out of content, but there have been a few times when I struggled to fill enough dates in the month. 

Running the blog on a daily, or semi-daily, basis starts with knowing exactly what the blog will be used for, how frequently you intend to consistently post, and the kind of content you plan on publishing there. The second step is designing a publication schedule, but that plan must be very flexible. Now I didn't start out this organized... but I grew into that level of organization over time in order to manage very busy days.

I have 10 different blog post genres that I tend to use on a regular basis. Pacing them out and scheduling up to 5 months ahead of time, eases the behind-the-scenes activities in running this particular blog.

They are:

  • In The Media related announcements - in these posts we include links to various media appearances, interviews, published articles, etc. with enticing introductions so people check out the various links we are sharing. I am concerned with oversaturating the audience with self-promotion genre posts and so I tend to publish them every 7-10 days. 

  • A Little Youtube - Each post in this series explains one video that we published on the Brummet Media Channel, and this blog post series is published at least 6 days apart.

  • Self-promotion - Like all artists we have to find a way to remind people that we have products for sale and without those sales we cannot exist. At the same time I am concerned about doing this too frequently. Dave created a variety of images and short videos highlighting one book at a time for me to use, which helps me avoid redundant posts, and these are published every 10 days or so.

  • Poetry Time: this is a monthly post series, published only once per month sharing one or two poems at a time. Often other poets submit these, but we share clippings from our books and upcoming books in the Playing With Words poetry book series. 

  • Just For Writers is also a monthly post, published around the 15th of every month - which shares resources, quotes, interviews and opportunities for writers. It is our way of giving back to the world of writing, showing support to other writers. 

  • Quote of the Day:  published once every 10 days, or so, this series shares inspiring, intriguing quotes. 

  • Recommended Resources: Published every 15-20 days, this series shares links to nonprofit organizations, green businesses, and helpful life-style resources 

  • Interviews: In between these regular posts we schedule interviews with publishers, entrepreneurs, artists, writers, bloggers, podcast hosts, speakers, and nonprofit organizations. Publication of these will vary depending on submissions - therefore we can see them on the blog anywhere from once per week to once per month. 

  • Kudos: These are celebrations of positive happenings and can appear randomly based on submissions or notes I've gathered on sustainable, green, conscious, proactive and positive happenings.

  • Articles, whether written by us or submitted by others, are typically published every 6-10 days.
By pacing these various genres of blog posts out, I can avoid over-saturation for the readers. Yet the business, books, products and services are still getting attention to by using signatures at the end of each blog post. Links to most of our relevant online sites are offered on the side bar as well. 

You'll notice that our blogs have multiple pages too, which allows us to offer even more information and fully utilize the blog effectively.


Comments