Skip to main content

Author Interview

World of Writing - Author Interview

Michael was born in the Kimberly Mountains of Western Australia, who is quickly gaining a reputation for his ability to intertwine complex theology, ancient wisdom and spiritual quest in his work. 

"Weaned on mum and dad's stories of remote Aboriginal communities, patrolling Papua New Guinea, granddads butcher shop, Catholics and Druids and those that didn’t come home from war. Then the rollercoaster of my own youthful adventures, trekking and sometimes working around the world. I’ve lived in dozens of places, from one-pub villages to mega-cities, until finally settling in Brisbane", he explains. 

Michael invites our readers to follow his Author Central Page on Amazon. 
Find the Evolution of Everything book @:


Q: I'm very curious to learn more about where you are from...

A: I was born in Derby, a small remote town in the Kimberly Mountains of Western Australia. It was two thousand kilometres from the nearest city. From then to now, I’ve travelled, lived, studied, and worked around Australia and around the world, from tiny villages to megacities. 

Now, I’ve settled down with my wife and three kids in Brisbane, Australia. It’s a great city. Not too big. Not too small.


Q: It sounds like you have found a nice balance in life. Prior to writing professionally, you've worked in many different situations... could you share a little of this with us? 

A: I studied Engineering at university and went on to a successful career in construction and project management. The company I work for did a lot of remote work. Often, we would do a ‘Fly in – Fly out’ project where we would be away from home for three or four weeks and then back home for a week of rest and relaxation.

That lifestyle suited some people. It suited me well when I was young. But it’s toxic for families—the stress of work plus the stress of being away. The partner at home struggles to raise the kids and work out routines by herself for weeks, and then along comes Dad during R&R and upends all the routines.


Q: When did you consider yourself a writer?

A: That’s a good question. On the one hand I’ve always dabbled at writing and poetry and journaling. But more for fun and introspection. It was a way of sorting out my thoughts. But I didn’t consider myself a writer.

Then, about five years ago, I was working away just out of Darwin. I’d entered midlife, stressed out and missing my family. To switch off at night, I started meditating. I started reading again. I started learning about personal growth philosophy and spirituality. 

So many ideas were bouncing around in my head, and I needed a way to sort it out and make sense of it all. So I started writing. And now my book The Evolution of Everything has been published and is available on Amazon.

 
Q: What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

A: My main weakness is being unable to take other people's perspectives. That’s a strange trait for a writer because most of what they do is try to take and portray other people's perspectives. 

I’ve lived a lucky life; things always seem to work out well. Although I’m not religious any more, I still say I’ve lived a blessed life. I see people suffering, and I have incredible sympathy for them, but I can’t imagine what it’s actually like for them. 

I spent most of my life projecting my vision of the world onto other people. I was constantly surprised and frustrated that they didn’t think or do what I would think or do. Why didn’t they just get themselves out of that situation? Why didn’t they go somewhere new and start fresh? 

I say that you’ve always got options and choices in life, but mine have always been easy, so I can’t truly comprehend the pain and suffering that other people are going through.

On the positive side, I think my main strength is curiosity. I’m always interested in new ideas. This nervous curiosity served me well through my school and university stage. This confident curiosity served me well through my working stage. And now, this wise curiosity has brought about a massive shift in my life, bringing personal growth to the forefront for this next stage of life.


Q: What is your mission?

A: My mission has changed with each stage of my life. Early on, it was all about learning new things and surviving the social hurricane of adolescent life. Then, it was succeeding at work to support my family and surviving the stresses of daily life. Now, it’s shifted again. 

Now, I want to show up to every conversation and every interaction every day and help us both grow up, clean up and wake up. I want people to feel a little better off than before.

Q: That's beautiful, your intent in life is admirable. :) What is your idea of happiness?

A: This is an easy one. I learned this bit of wisdom about ten years ago, and it’s held up well since. 


There are three things you need to be happy:
  • Something to do

  • Someone to love 

  • Something to look forward to
 
If any of these are missing – then you won’t be happy
  • Loneliness for a lack of someone to love

  • Purposelessness for a lack of something to do

  • Hopelessness for a lack of something to look forward to 
 
Each of these of these can be simple. I’ve got my work to do – it’s not perfect, but it keeps me busy and employed. Or writing. Or caring for someone. Or volunteering. Or gardening. I’ve got my wife to love. Or my mother. Or my friend. I’ve got Christmas to look forward to. Or a birthday. Or a music festival. This is enough to be happy.


And then, beyond that, we can thrive. Our happiness can overflow. I’ve got a purpose in life, a mission and doing that really fulfils me. I’ve got a soul mate and a partner. I’ve got a few people that I love and that love me. I look forward to every single day, and I’m really looking forward to something special.


Q:
Thank you for sharing that. With all that said - Are you doing what you really want to do in life?

A: Yes and no. I’m still working in construction, raising my family, and trying to write when I get time – which isn’t very often. I’m very happy doing what I’m doing. I’m fulfilled. I’m supporting my family. I’m doing well at work and earning more than I would as an author. This gives me the freedom when I do have time to write, to write from the heart rather than writing for the market.

Of course, I would rather be an author. If money were no object, I’d spend more time learning and writing. I’ve got plans for the next couple of books, growing and improving on ‘The Evolution of Everything’.

This is a good question because it makes me pause and consider my priorities. But for this stage of life, I’m confident I’m doing the right thing. Retiring from the construction industry into full-time writing may be for the next stage of life.


Q: What books or authors have influenced your career as a writer?

 
AI love this question so much that I put a bibliography at the end of my book, ‘The Evolution of Everything’, even though it’s fiction. I know that’s not the done thing, and most editors would scream at me to take it out. But several books influenced me so strongly that I figured if someone likes my book, I should help them on their journey to find others like it.

Early influences included books that blended philosophical and spiritual ideas with engaging stories. Sophies World by Jostein Gaarder, The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig.


Q: Outside of your spouse, circle of close friends and family members, who would you say was the one that stands out as far as helping you get where you are? (mentors, personal guru's, people you look up to, who you were inspired by, coaches or cheerleaders in your life)
 
A: Of course, my wife, kids, and parents were my most significant influences, but beyond that, there is one guy who supercharged my development and spurred me on to write my book.

Tim Freke is a fascinating philosopher from the UK. Early in his career, he wrote many books about the different wisdom traditions and religions. More recently, he’s been developing and exploring ideas about ‘what is life’. He runs weekly meet-ups where we discuss philosophical ideas and explore spiritual experiences. I’ve had many great conversations with him; he has helped evolve my thinking.





~~~   

Follow the Brummet's & Find their  Books: 

Visit: 


~~~

Comments