Skip to main content

Author Interview

World of Writing - Author Interview

A shout out to Denise Thompson, of Absolute Love Publishing, who sent her client our way for this interview :)
Author Victoria Lowery, former cable TV show host, tells us that she is a relationship coach by trade and attended both Marian University and Wright State University to attain her current career. In the past she served as a newspaper columnist, as ambassador for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and as CEO of the Chamber of Commerce Executives of Ohio. In her down time, she enjoys spending time with her husband and 3 daughters.

Victoria invites our readers to drop by her website or follow her on Amazon

Q: Do you volunteer with any specific organization, community project or library group, etc? 

A: I am matched with a teen as a mentor and assist at a human trafficking shelter. All in all, I'd say they are my teachers.


Q: What age group did you write for? 

A: I've long known this book was going to be primarily for teens. Why? When my three daughters were little and oh so innocent, people would say, "Just wait till they're teenagers." 

Toddlers see their parents as having all the answers and able to fix anything. Ten years smarter later, parents don't know anything. This is generalizing a lot but the pre-teen and teen transition is a unique period in life like no other. It's a particularly vulnerable time where choices can land a teen on the right or wrong path effecting their entire future. It's a phase worthy of extra input to navigate the many choices and pressures this group must navigate. 

We become stronger adults with more awareness as teens. Our human race is only as strong as what we pass on to our youth. It's important.

Q: What can you tell us about this latest book release?

A: Polly Parker Meets Her Shadow is about a 14-year-old teen that has waited 14 years to meet her shadow and learn the six secrets that are prophesied to save the world from ancient, evil bloodlines. That goal cost her grandparents their lives, but idyllic Higher Realm School promises Polly a safe place to discover the coveted higher knowledge – or so she thinks. It’s not long before danger finds her, and Polly and her friends must work together to outwit those who want to keep the secrets hidden. 

Q: What author's to you admire?
 
A: When my first draft of Polly Parker Meets Her Shadow was run through an AI analysis, it compared my writing to Suzanne Collins of the Hunger Games. I had seen the movies but not read the books, so I started, and fell in love with her rich, emotionally expressive style. Even though I know how the book ends, I could read her work over and over because her writing is that enjoyable.





Q:  Is there anything in your book that is based on a real life experience? 

A: Certainly. The character, Dj Metta, is directly patterned after my own daughter, DJ ARi. Another character, Fritzy, was the name of the raccoon pal I had when I was a teen. I rescued her from a neighbor who planned to use her as training for their hunting dogs. She was named after my German friend, Fritz. When she matured enough, I learned Fritz was a girl. So, I added the Y to call her Fritzy. The name means peaceful ruler. How coincidental is that! Her story could be its own book. Fritzy returned to the wild and came back to have her babies in our barn. The following winter she came back with 3 1/2 legs. I healed her and she went back out again. We always stayed friends.


Q: Why did you feel this book needed to be written? 

A: We humans have the ability to manifest things. What's in our minds will become our reality. 


Q: What inspired you to become a writer? 

A: I could no longer ignore the ever-present urge. I had a fine career in nonprofit management. I was CEO of the Chamber of Commerce Executives of Ohio when I knew it was time to listen to the urge. That was in 2010. It was a scary leap and a drastic pay cut, but nothing is more rewarding than aligning with your passion


Q: What type of books do you write? 

A:  Before the Chamber, I hosted a television talk show where I was the seeker of news. I would interview others to tell their story. Then in my business management career chapter, I wrote lots of newsletters, speeches, articles, and had a newspaper column where I was the voice of the organization. This gave me a view from both sides of the media lenz and lots of experience. 

Now, as an author, I'm free to write at length about whatever I choose. What interests me the most is human relationships and emotions. I started writing nonfiction at first with these titles: Don't Date A Dud and Love Happily Ever After. In the back of my mind, I always knew these had value to my work while they were preparing me for something to come. I now know that something is the young adult, magical realism Polly Parker series. The realistic part contains my signature wisdom for making your life great while bringing in a touch of fantasy. I've greatly enjoyed allowing my imagination to go wherever it wishes.


Q: For readers to get to know you better, what kind of author would you describe yourself as? 

A: I very much care about infusing my books with life value - something more than a made up adventure. I'm imaginative while sticking to my life motto: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Silly) I think this works well especially when emotion is involved because emotion can seem so complicated. I'd like to reverse that and make it simple.


Q: What advice do you have for aspiring authors? 

A: Follow your heart. Call it your subconscious, your soul, or you higher self, or something else; I believe that voice speaks to us through our heart.

That internal guidance will always steer you towards your greatest strengths, which will also be your greatest joy and success.




~~~   

Follow & Find Books: 

Visit: 


~~~









Comments