Skip to main content

World of Podcasting - Interview

World of Podcasting - Interview

Author, entrepreneur and human rights advocate Elizabeth Gagnon is our featured guest today. Let me tell you a little about this woman:

Elizabeth is a passionate advocate for mental health, abuse, grief, and peace for humanity. Through her events and initiatives, Elizabeth has raised thousands of dollars for organizations supporting women, victims of sexual abuse, bereaved families, and more. She has been recognized with numerous awards for her humanitarian work and commitment to making a difference in the world. Today, Elizabeth drops in to share some of her experiences as a talk radio show host. 

She invites our readers to visit her via:

Q: I'm super excited to have you as a featured guest on our blog today, Liz. You and I have been networking for quite some time now... and I recall my guest spot on the Teatime With Miss Liz talk radio show last year with fondness. This program is now in its 5th season, I believe. Could you tell us a little about the beginnings of this podcast?

A: I never really look at what I do as "podcasting", as I’m more about the homestyle of open discussion through storytelling and words. 
Podcast, again, is not a word I’m familiar with, as I’m not your regular-style podcaster. There is so much more I do. I prefer a talk show host through open, authentic conversations from all walks of life individuals. The individuals are often overlooked due to titles, awards, or overcoming adversity. My work matters to me cause I’m on a mission to build, serve, and educate differently with my mission and vision of bringing people together. 

I started with a simple laptop, camera, and built-in microphone. After the first year of serving and hosting, I upgraded to a microphone, ring light input controller and podcast equipment for sounds. I wanted to try radio, which I did for eight months until my hearing aids box didn’t work with the streaming sources. 

I dedicate 40-60 hours weekly to my talk show, marketing, creating, booking, emails, and videos on my platforms. My mission is people over profit. I am bringing back the barter and trade. Give a chance to those not fortunate enough to do it because of society's beliefs. 

 
Q: What are your favourite tasks involved with your job as the host? 

A: My all-time favourite tasks are getting to know my guests before, during, and after, building relationships and collaborations together, being encouraged to try different topics and approaches with each guest, having them return multiple times, creating an enjoyable experience together, and learning from my guests and their services—books and awareness to break the cycle of the podcast world. 

Q: I felt a similar way when I was hosting the Conscious Discussions Talk Radio Show - it felt like 10 years of making new friends and stepping into a festival of education and hearing stories that really inspired me to keep doing the hard work to make that show possible because those stories really should be told. 
You have developed a unique theme and imagery - Can you tell us about the conception process for making this program so unique, and did you have someone help you design the imagery, logo, or website? ? 

A: My theme is Teatime with Miss Liz - Teaching Educational Awareness through words and stories. Guests from across the globe present different topics, and perspectives and educate us all through these deep learning conversations with heart, soul, and understanding. 

No, I create everything independently, as I have a graphic design, writing, and marketing background. I have had a couple of logos, but the Miriam Sapphire Foundation created my latest logo as a gift to me for hosting a tea party online for one of their events. I use my business branding colours and tagline. What is your tea? 

Q: It isn't easy to constantly attract new listeners while managing the show at the same time. What do you do to promote your podcast? 

A: I send international press releases for upcoming months' guests, make radio announcements, share pre-recorded interviews with business magazines and news outlets, and post and video details on time locations and topics. I also promote the events through my website and apps. 

Q: What are your views on offering contests? 

A: I'm not into contests or campaigns, as everyone else is doing that. I like your concept of thinking outside the box, creating a different way to reach new listeners and keep an audience entertained. 
 


Q: Do you collaborate with other hosts? 

A: Yes, absolutely. 

Collaboration, supporting each other makes a difference, it goes a long way. It allows you to learn something new. I have collaborated with guests, friends of a friend, media outlets, business outlets, magazines, programs and services, booking agents, publicists, and more. 

I admire authentic hosts who have open conversations without pre-questions or ones who research their guests, topics, and sources. Hosts who listen and ask questions and stay true to their vision of what they serve. 



Q: There are a lot of people out there working hard at their podcast, stream video, channel or talk radio show... What encouraging advice could you offer to other hosts?

A: Stay true to the reason you started. Believe in yourself. Stand up for the message you want to deliver. Think outside the everyday box. Know who your target audience is. Prepare to connect or make your guests feel welcome, not just for a content feeling. 

Know that it is not an instant success. It does take time to build an audience and listeners, and it takes time to build relationships to have returning guests. 

Bad communication, poor planning, management, and time management are all over the place, and there is no consistency. Better communication, planning, and management are needed to fix these issues. Show appreciation to your guests, as it is a two-way street. Own up to mistakes, and your guests will respect you and your platform more. 


Q: You mentioned having guests from around the globe and the wide array of topics that are covered on your talk show... I'd like to learn more about how you manage finding guests.

A: I look for something different that is engaging, humorous, and informative. One thing to never do is approach me for a promotional spotlight. Don’t try to tell a host how to run their show, as you are a guest, not the boss. Value the show time and respect the requirements as well. 

For example, creating policies and contingency plans, finding balance, having good communication skills, owning my mistakes, being open to rescheduling as life does happen, and doing my homework on the pros and cons of the podcast world. 

I don’t engage in hate, shame or bullying. 
 

Q: I totally respect that. How do you prioritize marketing and organizational tasks?

A: I'm all about self-discipline and accountability, self-confidence and respect. I find  self-talk, planners, and pre-schedules help. I pay attention to SEO tactics, good content, use Tag words, blogging, backlinks, and cross-promotion. 

I rely on guests showing up and promoting their appearance on websites, creating a ripple effect through multiple platforms and channels, word of mouth and publications. 


~~~ 
  

Follow us & find our Books: 

Visit: 


~~~

Comments

  1. Thanks for dropping in to share your thoughts on the world of podcasting !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet