Skip to main content

World of Writing - author interview



World of Writing - Author Interview


Today we have the pleasure of conducting yet another World of Writing Interview... a special series of Q&A interviews with people who work in the many fields the writing industry. Author interviews are one of my personal favourites. 


Today we are featuring Carlos Alvarado , author of Cry Water Colors, a coming-of -age story with a hint of romantic adventure and a taste of introspection. His second book, Tujunga is based in 1955 in West Virginia that will take you on a romantic, murderous adventure. Watch for his third book, La Macha to be published in the near future. ... **unfortunately his website is down, however when it is up again he might post it in a comment below. 



Q: I can see from your online platform that you have recently retired from 32 years in the field of emergency medicine, have travelled - it seems - all over the world and have published 2 books so far. Let's go back to the beginning of your memories - As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A: I am presently working on my third book (La Macha), which is based on my mother. This question goes to the core of who she was and what became of me. Demographically, my upbringing would have been classified underprivileged-- but my mother never gave us the opportunity to be limited by it. 
Instead, she enriched us with the vision of: whatever you wish for, effort can grant it. As a child, what I wanted to be depended on the season, as much as what location I found myself in. The profession that aspirationally lingered the longest was architecture. 




Q: What do you feel are the necessary components that make a good story?

A: Defining a character has, for me, been the critical starting point. It begins when I witness (or possess) a personality trait that, under challenging circumstances, follows a standard course to an unexpected conclusion. 

The story develops gradually, but steadily, as the character evolves through the daily challenges imposed by the writer. Invariably, there comes a point where it seems like the protagonist begins to take the storyline beyond the initial intent of the writer. 


Q: What inspires you to write in certain genres?

A: I have wondered about this often, particularly whether it be a consequence of nature or nurture. Since I first began to write, I have been romantically descriptive, even when working on a scientific essay: it seemed to be how I was genetically wired. But looking back from my aged perspective, I recall my mother watching dramatic Mexican novellas on television and becoming emotionally invested in the characters. I treasured her animated prods to the lovers and clamorous condemnation of their archenemies. Though Spanish is not my primary language, I have read many Hispanic writers similarly inclined in being romantically descriptive, which I have coined as Hispanic Romanticism



Q: That's a great term - Hispanic Romanticism. I love that. You were touching on the development of a character. I'm curious, do you insert your own characteristics in your writing?

A: I would think it difficult to write a reasonable context for a protagonist without the writer having personally observed or experienced the consequence of an accredited act. I won’t shy away from finding much about me in my stories, but only as a palette would hold colours—each being singly entertaining, but an imaginative composition when in fusion.



Q: Yes, I agree - writers tend to be in the mind set of an observer... watching for those "colours" you are referring to. Let's talk about the business side of things a little bit. Few of the readers realize what it takes to run the office like a home based business, all the behind the scenes activities that goes on from record keeping and banking to tax filing and marketing. Would you mind, Carlos, sharing what your favourite publicity activities are, the ones that you enjoy doing?

A: I am a one-on-one/pen-to-paper type of person and have thereby found it difficult to market my novels effectively. After spinning my wheels (and lots of money) in traditional marketing avenues, I’ve decided to put pen-to-screen and work on a personal development website (www.determined2.com): goal is to reach readers on a one to one basis. Of my latest novel (Cry Water Colors: D2 edition) I gratefully dedicated it to the readers who take the opportunity to consider novels by independent authors.



Q: Speaking of readers... most writers are also voracious readers. Who are your favourite authors/poets?

A: My preferences for authors span the length of genres, and began with Walter Brooks who wrote a series on Freddy The Detective. I eventually graduated to John Jakes’ historical fiction series. Presently, I am more focused on Hispanic Romanticism, and this includes the authors Mario Llosa and Carlos Zafon… who knows what author may woo my reading whim in the future? 



Q: It seems that you have lived an adventurous life, filled with ups and downs, exciting and potentially devastating... you've experienced it all, it seems. Through all of this I'm going to assume that you have had some epiphanies in life. What is your personal idea of happiness?

A: When I can spend hours at a particular activity and not realize how much time has passed, that is happiness for me (exactly what writing gives me). A corollary to happiness is satisfaction--which comes not from the activity, but from sharing the emotion granted by it. As a social being, there is no greater fulfillment than when my happiness enriches someone I care for. This is why I am so very grateful whenever I discover another reader for my writing. 




~~

Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca

~~






Comments