Skip to main content

Author Interview



World of Writing - Author Interview

I everyone! I'm pleased to welcome author Shirley Turner on our blog for an interview about her experiences as a new author, and how writing became a tool for her to make a difference in the world. Shirley is a Certified Spring Forest Qigong Trainer and Master Healer (SFQ). She is passionate about the healing arts. Her studies over the past 20 years include Reiki, Cranio-Sacral Therapy, Herbal Medicine, and Essential Oils. The knowledge and experience she gained from these practices helped immensely for learning the depths of SFQ. Shirley is married, has 2 children and 6 grandchildren. You can find her book Fibromyalgia – What Now? and learn about her Qigong practice here: http://www.qigongheals.ca  Or connect with her on FaceBook.


Q: Hi Shirley, congratulations on your first published book! I’m so glad you were able to drop in for an interview. We’ve only had a few local authors (BC, Canada) interviewed here and it’s a thrill to have you join us.  Why don’t we start by having you tell us why you turned to writing?

A: I have been writing my book for over twelve years. After two years of having fibromyalgia I said to myself : 'one day I am going to write a book about what has helped me, and what has not'. So I began journaling and recording what I did.



Q: What do have planned now that the book has been published; will you continue writing books?

A: Now that my book is finished I no longer journal anything about fibromyalgia. I have no plans of writing another book. My love of life is practicing and teaching Qigong.

Being challenged with several health issues over the years, including a severe concussion, fibromyalgia and the need for a knee replacement – it lead me to the new and absolutely remarkable practice of Qigong. I never knew Qigong existed yet it has been around for thousands of years!

After discovering the powerful self-healing properties of Qigong in my physical, emotional and spiritual realms, I now have this passion to share the gift. There is nothing like finding relief when you are desperate!


Q: Ok, now I'm curious. What is Qigong about?



A: Qigong (pronounced "chee-gong") is an ancient healing practice from China, which brings your mind, body, and heart energy together to achieve balance through both sitting and active meditative movements, breathing techniques, gentle movements, sound and mental focus. 

The Chinese call the energy in a person's body "qi". Qi works in this way: when qi flows smoothly in the body, life is good and you are physically and mentally healthy. When the flow of qi is interrupted, energy blockages form and can lead to physical or mental health problems. When qi totally stops, that is the end of life. "Gong" means the "the flow of" or "the practice of". Qigong, then, means "the flow or practice of energy".

Qigong practice helps energy flow freely so the body stays in balance and healthy. It can also help heal energy blockages when the body is sick. Many people in China practice Qigong, and many doctors teach their patients different Qigong exercises and postures to help them heal.The practice of Qigong is quickly gaining attention in the western world for its tremendous physical and mental/emotional health benefits.

Q: Very cool. Thank you for explaining that for me :) What were some of the challenges you faced as a new author?

Everything about writing a book except the written material was a challenge. The editing, formatting, book cover, etc. (a lot of etc.). However with many willing family members and professionals I figured it out.


Q:  What is the wisest thing anyone has said to you?

A: Many things have been shared with me. This is one is from my mom: “And this shall pass too”.  I use this saying all the time; it has really gotten me thru many tough times. I may not have liked it but I remembered it. 

This is one more I would like to share: “Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream” has been a profound statement for me. So many, many life lessons in this one sentence.


Q: What dreams have you realized as a result of the writing and publication of Fibromyalgia – Now What??

A: I did it, I actually wrote a book! My Qigong world has opened up to a whole new group of people. I have a FaceBook page to help people thru their Fibromyalgia. Many people have reached out to me privately to ask questions and get help.


Q: How much time are you able to devote to marketing this book?

A: My book is advertised on Amazon. Once a month I do a FaceBook ad to different countries around the world. My FaceBook page gives me exposure, too. 




~~

Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca

~~








Comments