Skip to main content

Author Interview


World of Writing - Author Interview

Today we are pleased to offer an author interview with Sherra Aguirre - an articulate health enthusiast, environmentalist and food security activist. She founded and led a successful business for three decades, winning national awards for entrepreneurship, innovation, and service excellence. She sold the company in 2016 to focus on sharing her passion for healthy diet and lifestyle. * A shout out to Leslie Barrett of PRByTheBook.com for sending her client our way. ...Sherra invites our readers to visit her at:



Q: What are your long-range and short-range goals and objectives?

My short-range goal is to get this book in the hands of as many people who can benefit from it as possible. I particularly want to empower African Americans, and others who are on the front lines of the battle against heart disease, with the tools for prevention, reversal, and good self-care. Long-range I would like to contribute to changing our food culture to one of compassion and respect for our bodies, our animal populations and for Earth itself. 

Q: How do you plan to accomplish your goals?

Writing and publishing Joyful, Delicious, Vegan: Life Without Heart Disease was a big step for me. I actually wrote it three times over a period of several years because I was learning as the science of plant-based nutrition quickly evolved. It was important to keep an open mind as new information challenged old assumptions, even as I dealt with my own cardiovascular issues. My next step is using what I have learned to inspire others through blogs, social media platforms, and mainstream media. I look forward to direct outreach to organizations and groups to promote whole food plant-based solutions to diet and lifestyle related diseases. And to keep learning!


Q: What inspires you?

The human body, starting with my own, amazes me in countless ways. It is resilient, intelligent and patient. It endured my poor choices, nutritional neglect, and indifference to the critical work it did for me day in and day out for decades. And still it stood ready and responded when I made the positive changes to provide what it needed to reverse the damage. I am equally inspired by the power of our connection with the natural world into which we were born, even though we sometimes lose sight of that. 


Q: When you look back at the whole of your life, what do you hope to leave as a legacy, your contribution to society?

We are at a very tricky place in human evolution, the “human experiment” as some call it. Never in our history have our choices been more critical to our survival and yet we seem to think that we can resume business as usual.  If I could make the world a healthier and more compassionate place, by example and by advocacy, I will depart as a very happy person. 

Q: We have learned that diet has a huge impact on the health of the environment. Have you learned this as well in your journey…that diet affects not only your health but the planet?

Absolutely. And sadly, I only realized the extent to which that is true in the last few years. Like many I focused on reducing reliance on fossil fuels as the main problem to be solved. I was stunned to learn that modern industrial food production is arguably the biggest source of methane gas emissions, and deforestation, two of the main sources of global warming. Yet our government (when not outright denying a climate crisis) and even many environmental groups hardly mention it, although changing what we eat is something we have the power to do. 



Q: Do you have any suggestions to help others become a better writer?

Just start where you are and allow yourself to be imperfect, even afraid. Write, reflect and ask for feedback. It was not easy for me, and I would not have the pleasure of giving this interview if I had not done those things.


Q: What advice would you give to someone who is interested in your topic?

Plant-based eating is a great food adventure with endless possibilities to enjoy your favorite tastes and textures in healthier versions, and it easily adapts across all cuisines. It’s also the one change that will make the biggest impact on the health and future of our families and life on our planet.


Q: What is the wisest thing anyone has said to you?

The best things happen when we hang out in the unknown.” It reminded me that some of the best things in my life were not planned. It gave me courage. 



~~
 
Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca

~~




Comments