Skip to main content

Author Interview


World of Writing - Author Interview


* Shout out to Leslie Barrett of PRByTheBook.com for sending today's guest our way. Joining us is Sherri Rose, to speak about her experiences in producing a children's book. ​Sherri L. Rose grew up in Richmond, Virginia. As a retired pediatric and family nurse practitioner, as well as a hospice and palliative care nurse, she recognizes the critical importance of helping children understand what is happening during the pandemic that is currently sweeping the globe. She has 6 children and 7 grandchildren and sincerely hopes that her book will help families stay safe. Visit her at SherriRoseBooks.com & on FaceBook


Q: What is your education/career background?


A: I initially acquired a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), then took my “boards” to become a Registered Nurse. After working for a year on a pediatric unit in the hospital, I left, took a couple of months off. I was not that fond of acute care. I then attended the PNP (Pediatric Nurse Practitioner) Certificate Program at MCV/VCU, now VCU Health System. I completed a Master’s in Nursing (MSN) in 2005 at the University of Virginia and became a Family Nurse Practitioner. Later in my career I joined a wonderful hospice agency and became certified as a Hospice and Palliative Care Nurse. I’ve essentially nursed through the entire life cycle along with mine (I’ve grown old with my patients).


Q: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?


A: Or what first inspired you to write? I started writing papers while in college and found that I enjoyed not only the writing, but the research was so fascinating. Remember, this is before computers! I began working on my memoirs (Memoir #1; I need to write three to get all my stories included) in 2017 pulling from my many journals that I’ve written over the years I’ve had an unusual number of life experiences.


However, in early July 2020, when I lay in my bed to go to sleep, I desperately yearned to give my precious youngest grandson a hug. I had tried doing so through lots of saran wrap one day, as well as a blanket all over me – however it was very confusing to him and unsettling for me. It was so hard. Hence – I decided that if all else fails, I needed visuals and audio to explain to this little one what in the world has been happening! So, I wrote this book, dedicated to him, to help us all understand in simple terms what has been occurring and why our world has been turned upside down.


Q: Where/When do you best like to write?


A: We have a little room upstairs that used to be the “game room.” Since no grandchildren could visit, I’ve turned it into a little office for me. It worked well with my husband, as he has a small business working with clients with tax issues. This little room has also become my “recording studio” for zooming, reading my book and singing the song. It’s been a great way to reach out to libraries, an alumni reunion and more. My little room is quiet, serene, has some of my favorite family pictures, a great window and it promotes positive thinking and writing.


Q: What do you like to do when you are not writing?


A: I love to spend time with our family and friends, play with our young grandchildren and talk with our older ones, play the piano, sing, garden (especially roses), bike, read, and spend time and play Scrabble with my husband. Relationships are truly what creates happiness for me.



Q: 
What was your greatest challenge in writing this book?


A: The business of writing. I love to write, however I had no idea, whatsoever, how I would essentially have to work “full-time” again to get everything done. Keeping a record of expenses, coordinating numerous contracts – and the passwords with all of these agencies was amazing. I am supposed to be retired! But I’ve had a great time.


Q: What person(s) has/have helped you the most in your career?


A: My most outstanding mentor was my supervisor in Roanoke, VA. Elizabeth (Willie) Nelson, BSN, RN, was such an amazing nurse and community figure. She guided me and supported me through an important job as a PNP. I was the first NP to be placed in one of the twelve Child Development Clinics in VA to identify young children that might require early intervention and special education services from the schools. I remained in touch and close with her until the day she died.


Q: What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book?

A: How important an editor is! I was unaware, despite my extensive “paper-writing” in undergraduate and graduate school, of my errors in the tense of my verbs and mixed up my pronouns! I certainly learned a lot.




~~
 
Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca

~~

Comments