Skip to main content

Author Interview



- - World of Writing - - Author Interview -



Today we are joined by prolific author Ken Farmer who tells us: "I was born in Texas, 1941, and attended 21 grade schools growing up; my father worked in the oil field. I attained degrees in drama, became a professional film and TV actor at age 32, and then retired at 65. Got bored, needed a creative outlet...found out I could write at 69. That was 39 novels ago. Now, I'm age 79, and here doing this interview with you." 

One look at his Amazon Author page and you'll see why I'm so darn impressed with Ken's work. When I asked Ken to share more about himself on a personal level he had this to say: 


This is the toughest question. Don’t much like talking about myself. My daddy always told me to let my actions speak for me.

I suppose my acting students (I taught acting for 17 years) would say I could be intimidating, but knowledgeable, fair and very demanding. 

I made sure they were better when they left class than when they got there.

I try to never say or write anything I can’t back up. 

I have been called arrogant, but I would prefer to say...I’m confident. 

The prospect of failure doesn’t enter my mind. Never set out to do something I failed to do. 

Daddy always said, ‘If you think you can or you think you can’t...you’re right.’ 

Once I started writing, it never occurred to me I wouldn’t be able to do it.




Q: I'm curious, Ken, did you choose writing as a profession, or did it choose you?

I think I would have to say a little of both. I never had that driving urge to become a writer, it just kind of happened, and I discovered I could put my thoughts (stories) down on paper. I’ve always been a bit of a bull s.... artist - prefer to say storyteller. I think I had a great leg up coming from the acting profession. My mind was already character oriented and dialogue is far and away the easiest part of writing for me. I think all writers should study acting.

My original writing partner, Buck Stienke, and I adapted a friend of mine’s novel into a screenplay back in 2010. When we finished, we looked at each other and simultaneously said, ‘Hell, we can write a novel.’

Twelve weeks later we finished Black Eagle Force: Eye of the Storm - a military black ops action adventure. It won Best Adult Fiction at a book festival. It took our publisher a year to publish it. In the meantime, we wrote three more novels in the series. We decided that since we already had a production company, Timber Creek Productions (we had produced a movie I wrote and directed, Buck produced, “Rockabilly Baby”) that we might as well publish our own books through Timber Creek Press.

We wrote seven in the Black Eagle Force series together, two sy/fy, two police procedurals, and four historical fiction westerns. Most achieved #1 Best Seller status and two of the westerns won Best Western and Best Action Western awards - 2013 & 2014.

I have since written, on my own, eighteen historical fiction westerns, one nonfiction acting book: Acting is Storytelling, and what numerous people have told me in multiple reviews - my opus. Three Southern Noir Mysteries, working on #4. Almost all have also been Best Sellers and one...so far...has won a Best award, Three Creeks - Book #1 of the Southern Noir Mystery series...Three Creeks Mysteries won a Best Mystery award for 2020. I released it Sept. 19, 2020, book #2, RED HILL ROAD, on Dec. 12, 2020, and book #3, THE POND, on Feb. 19, 2021 - currently #1 Hot New Release. Book #4, FRIENDS, is my WIP.


Q: Wow. That is a lot of books. You have been an actor and a writer, and having the experience of both sides, what do you feel are the most common mistakes authors make?

Primarily not knowing and studying their craft. You’re either getting better...or getting worse. They keep making the same mistakes over and over and don’t trust themselves. There is no status quo. They often don’t realize a good story comes from the heart...not the head. Most don’t know how to get out of their own way. They do more analysis than creating. I would rather eat my soup than speculate on it.

We have an expression in acting: ‘If you’re not working a gig...better have your butt in class’. Same for writing, if you’re not writing...better be studying it. We never do anything well until we stop thinking about how we do it...storytelling has to become second nature or it’s stiff and contrived.


Q: What are your greatest obstacles and motivators when it comes to writing?

Probably not having enough time. My major regret is that I waited so late to start. But, then again, I suppose it’s like that Orson Wells commercial...’There is no wine before its time.’ 

Motivator...I’m an entertainer. I love it when people tell me how much they love my stories and my characters and ask when is my next book coming out. I create characters, get out of the way, sit back, and let them tell the story. Sometimes even I’m surprised at what happens...Dang, didn’t see that coming. 

I’m a pantser, meaning I never outline, or plot. I just basically make a movie in my head and write down what the characters say and do. I never have a first draft. I write on pure instinct...always seems to work out. When I finish, after my beta readers have checked it for typos, errors, and a rare hole, it’s done. I send them a chapter at a time as I write them, which is every few days or so. It’s regular that I get this response: ‘Great chapter, no comments. Ending was a strong twist.’

I go back often and read some of my earlier books and am surprised that I don’t find anything I would change.

I wrote book #1 of my Southern Noir Mystery series - Three Creeks - in twenty-one days...finished. It won the Best Mystery award. It was my first effort at first person POV. All my previous novels have been in third person - limited.


Q: What dreams have been realized as a result of your writing?

Personal satisfaction and a growing fan base. 



Q: How much time do you devote to marketing your book? 

About an hour a day...sometimes two.


Q: I noticed you have a fun book trailer and I've seen your impressive Amazon Author page   ... What other kinds of marketing do you recommend?
 
Mostly social media. I try to generate as much word-of-mouth as I can. It’s still the best. I love personal appearances, but as we all know that went out the window last year. Maybe it will gin back up soon.





Q: How do your friends and family feel about your writing venture in general? 

Friends have mostly been very supportive. I still have trouble getting my family to read my books, except for cousins, that is.


Q: What do you do to unwind and relax?

I get asked this a lot and my standard reply is...Write.


Q: What do you think about self-publishing?

I like self-publishing because I suppose I’m a control freak. I don’t want anyone changing what I write. It comes from my heart and is the way I want it. I learned long ago, you can’t please everyone...so you have to please yourself.


Q: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

When I found out that I could do it...and it was fun. It’s not work when you love what you do.


~~
 
Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca
 
~~


Comments