Skip to main content

Author Interview




World of Writing - Author Interview



Cathy Lynn Brooks is an author from Ontario, Canada. She spent forty years working with special-needs children and young adults. Her experiences gave her new insights into the problems she wrote about in her two memoirs. Drop by her Amazon Author Central page to find her 2 books - while not a series, these books are related; they both cover the issues, emotional joy and grief of raising and losing a bi-polar child. Watch for her upcoming novel, Rose Coloured Houses, coming soon. 


Q: How do your friends and family feel about your writing venture in general? (How have you handled the situation?) 

A: My family and friends are extremely proud and excited for me. Many have read both of my memoirs and given great reviews. They tell me they can’t wait to read my novel when it’s published this summer. 


Q: What do you do to unwind and relax? 

A: I enjoy reading, of course. I love to garden in the summer. We’ve recently downsized from a house with half an acre of gardens implanted myself. I can’t wait to work on my small garden at my new place. I love to walk along the lake at my new home. We winter in Florida and I’m very active with aqua fit, bike riding and line dancing there. 


Q: What is your favorite book? 

A: This is a hard question because it’s like choosing your favourite child. You can’t pick just one. The first book I read was Anne of Green Gables and it instilled my love of books. We’ve visited PEI twice because I love all of L.M. Montgomery books. 


Q: What do you want to accomplish with your books? 


A: My first books were therapeutic for me to write because my 29 year old daughter had died in a car accident and it helped me work through my grief. I wanted her not to be forgotten. My novel is a book that I would enjoy reading. I hope my readers will enjoy it. 


Q: How long does/did it take you to write a completed book manuscript? 

A: It takes several months to write a manuscript. I write at least an hour a day. The writing part is the easy part. The editing and marketing are the most difficult. What successes has your current book done for you? My two memoirs established me as an author and encouraged me to continue writing. Now I’m at the editing stage of a novel and I’m excited to launch it. 


Q: Describe your writing space. 


A: I write on my couch with my iPad. I don’t use a desk or special office. I edit with my Chromebook on my lap. Re: public appearances & services: 




Q: 
When you are getting ready for any public appearance what are some of the behind-the-scenes activities that you do ? 


A: I set up a table displaying my books and hang a banner and a few posters around the space. 





Q: How did you arrive at setting your goals? 

A: An author I admire gave me great advice. She said "write at least an hour a day". I followed that advice and have completed 3 books. 


Q: How do you handle stressful moments?

I use deep breathing techniques. Taking a walk or just putting down my work for a short while calms me. I enjoy cooking so I often head to the kitchen for a short break.




~~
 
Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca

~~


Comments