Skip to main content

Poetry Time



Poetry Time


Elephant Visit

I woke to find a familiar weight on my chest
It pressed and crushed the air from my lungs,
Shredding and shattering something inside;
I felt the crackle and the sharp stab in my heart.
My chin drops, I glance down at my chest 
To see the familiar grey, wrinkled foot
The ivory toes spread across my chest.

As my eyes travelled upwards, our eyes met
Hers full of regret, remorse, sympathy, empathy...
...Sorrow.
Mine full of the awestruck knowing, it has come.

Yes Grief, the elephant, visited me again
And I do not feel angry... this time.
I saw Grief's compassion 
Her eyes spoke to me "I am sorry, but you must go through this."
It made me think of the dentist, having recently been...
Does she, hands loaded with syringe and tray full of tools,
Does she say to herself:
 "I am sorry, but you must go through this
Just before entering the abyss?

Yes Grief, the elephant, visited me again.
Though her stay was quite brief
The ache of my lungs 
The throbbing pain in my heart
Will not let me forget the weight,
Nor the damage that remains.

...I shakily continue
Busy work spreads out my ability to focus 
And relive her visit.

©Lillian Brummet Sept 30, 2021



~~
 

Visit the Brummet's Main Website

Find them elsewhere online HERE 


~~

Comments