Skip to main content

Author Interview



World of Writing Author Interview


Margie Harding, author of numerous disability books for children -pre-k, elementary and middle school, is here today to share her experiences in the world of writing. There are 13 books in the Paxton book series, which have been embraced by elementary schools across Maryland (USA). Her books have also been used in local college courses, where new teachers are prepared for a career in education. Margie and her husband Charles have 5 children and 17 grandchildren. Always ready to learn something new, she is a perpetual student in a variety of different subjects. While both family and writing are important to her, she has other passions including reading and quilting.  I asked about the legacy she aims to leave behind, she told me that her goal is "to do something fundamentally good and make a difference". Join us for this fascinating discussion:

Q: When you started your book, did you plan on writing it as a series, or did it just grow into one?

A: The Paxton series (the elementary books on disabilities) did not even remotely begin as a series! My publisher contacted me about writing a children’s book with animal characters. Believe me I wasn’t thrilled… but I chatted with my daughter for a spell and Paxton’s World on Fire was born.  This is more of an environmental book as opposed to a disability book. 
 

However, we had Buffy the Buffalo give premature birth during the great fire and later decided to follow up with a ‘preemie’ book.  Then the idea was birthed to talk about asthma, again relating to the fire in the first book.  After that, I have no clue how it all happened.  They just kept being born! I’d always said “It takes someone special to be a Special Needs Teacher, and it’s not me!” — God has a sense of humor!  I’m smack dab in the middle of special needs, and honored to be a part of it!

By Invitation Only, (our chapter book for middle-school and also in the disability genre) was not going to be part of a series either, but here we are getting ready to publish another one - with at least two more already forming! I am actually not sure yet what the series will be called. 


Q: What age group did you write for?  

A: I write for all ages, actually. I have pre-K since all the Paxton books were re-written for that age group, and elementary, followed by the new chapter book for middle school. But I’ve written a set of Christian devotional books for teens, and I have an adult novel and an adult Christian women’s devotional.  


Q: Why did you write for this particular age group?

A: I write where my heart leads me. That said, my greatest efforts are for children. I’m not certain I have a specific reason for writing here.  But writing the Disability, Special Needs books in whatever age group i find myself, has become my passion.


Q: Did you find it difficult to choose the right language, images and writing style for reaching this age group?

A: The right language and style for the Paxton series was challenging in the sense that it had to be believable from a disability perspective. I don’t have any personal relationships with children with special needs. That requires a good deal of research and then I must put all that information together to form a children’s story. Once I have a plausible story line, writing the story itself is not that difficult.


Q: How do you plan to promote this book (or series)?

A: I’m reaching out to school districts since the books offer a great place to start conversation about what is different about whichever disability a student might have in a mainstream classroom. It opens an avenue of discussion. One Maryland County bought the entire set (13 currently) to place in each of their elementary schools as a resource for their teachers (and can also be checked out by students). They also bought two copies of Invitation to place in their middle school libraries.

I’m also reaching out to professors and directors of Special Education since I had a local Professor begin using Invitation for her students preparing to have classrooms of their own.  She’s made it required reading this Fall. She said, “Margie, this isn’t a ‘feel good’ book, but it’s real!”  I was grateful for her feedback.


Q: When writing a series how do you keep things fresh, for both your readers and also for yourself?

A: With the Paxton series, I read A LOT of blogs and information about each specific disability. After reading, I would sift through all the scenarios I’ve read about, mix them up, throw in some ideas of my own and create a unique situation. The idea is to never ever have ‘cookie cutter’ books!


Q: Did you find it more challenging to write the first book in your series, or the subsequent books?

A: I’m not sure either was more challenging. I feel like my mind is often on autopilot. It just turns and turns (even while I’m sleeping!) and I am required to find paper and pen and write things down. My husband just laughs at me when in the middle of one thing, I’ll go,  “Oh wait a minute.  I’ll be right back!”  And proceed to find something to write on!


Q: Is there anything in your book that is based on a real life experience?

A: Actually yes.  In the Paxton series, not so much.  But in the book By Invitation Only, the little girl in there is largely me in about 5th grade, except I did not have Down Syndrome. I was very poor and felt set apart and wanted so badly to be part of this girl’s club in my class. It didn’t happen, but that’s okay. The feelings stuck with me and I was able to put them on paper many years later. The other little girl in the book is based on one of my daughter’s friends during her elementary years.


Q: What are your long-range and short-range goals and objectives? How do you plan to accomplish your goals?

A: Please don’t laugh, but my long-range ‘dream’ is to have the series in an animated format so kids could see it from that perspective. I don’t know if that will ever happen, but that’s my dream.

Realistically, I plan to write for as long as I can. I’ve had MANY parents come to my table at events and ask for a specific book related to their child.  My list is now 60+ long!  It just keeps growing. I’m humbled by the request to write one on so many different subjects!

My short-term goal is much the same as my long-term! I just want to write these books because I want to make a difference in the lives of our children.  Our Special Needs children are just that, special — in a GOOD way, and they are offered very little reading material with which they can relate.    

What’s so important, however, is that the material they are reading be relevant to their peers as well. That’s my goal. I just want to do something fundamentally good while making a difference, doing what I believe I’ve been ‘called' to do. Write! 



Q: What inspires you?


A: That’s a trick question! I can be inspired by almost anything. I often find my devotional in the morning manages to infiltrate my day, or a song or even a photo. I enjoy nature, reading books, interacting with my grandchildren, reflecting on my past, and believing in what’s good. I am an eternal optimist and my perspective hinges on me doing the right thing.



Q: What is your opinion of the world today?

A: It’s interesting that this question follows my last statement that I’m an eternal optimist! Even given the condition in which we find our world, I can still say that.  

I believe our world is turned upside down and inside out. Perspectives have been so skewed; many people have no idea of right from wrong or good from evil. We have become a very “ME” driven society and unbelievably impatient. That’s sad, because when we feel this way we lose sight of what’s important. We forget to be kind and sensitive to someone else who may not have the blessings we do. We can’t see beyond our noses to see that someone needs us - or that we need them.

Despite this, we each have an opportunity daily to make a positive difference in the lives of those around us, through the way we live our lives, and demonstrate our beliefs. This requires some kind of action. This keeps me looking upward and onward!


Q: Take a moment to imagine your entire life, the choices you have made and hope to make... When you envision your life-long contribution to the world, what do you hope to see?

A: I hope my contribution to society will be teaching children (and adults) that every single person is wonderfully and beautifully made. We are all created differently and that is as it should be. Even in our unique weaknesses we each have something valuable to offer. Just as each finger or toe we posses is significant to how we walk or hold a pencil or cup, each person is also significant to our world in whatever way he/she can best be.  

I hope my books will encourage inclusion and acceptance, kindness and understanding, especially in the world of Special Needs. If these books can do this, I will have fulfilled my destiny.

---

Thank you for joining us for this fascinating discussion on the world of writing today. If you'd like to learn more about today's guest Margie Harding, we invite you to visit her WEBSITE, FACEBOOK, and AMAZON pages.



~~
 

Visit the Brummet's Main Website

Find them elsewhere online HERE 


~~










Comments