Skip to main content

Author Interview


World of Writing - Author Interview

Amy Shannon is a storyteller, living in upstate New York, where she grew up. She shares the stories in her head by putting them on paper (virtual or real), and most of her stories focus on the strength of women. She just released her final full length book. Amy suffers from a Functional Brain Disorder that mimics Dementia, and Parkinson's disease, since it affects her hands and legs the most, she is no longer going to be writing at the same intensity that she used to. Author of numerous books, blogger and business partner - these activities fill her days. She is also a supporter for survivors of domestic violence. She's passionate about making a difference where ever she can and that is why she encourages people to visit her Smile Amazon page because this program donates a portion of the sales to charities. She can also be found via her Website and Amazon Central page. Alternatively, visit her @: https://www.facebook.com/amyshannonnovelist



Q: Some of our blog readers may be familiar with your already as you and I have networked before, however for the benefit of those who do not recall you - why don't we start by having you tell us something about yourself?

A: I am no longer writing full length novels, because I suffer from a functional brain disorder, which causes tremors and I also have rheumatoid arthritis. I read a lot, a real lot of books, and I still can write short stories, sometimes one line at a time.


Q: You've written quite a number of books... Did you choose writing as a profession, or did it choose you?

A: I’ve been writing since I could write, and I’ve been telling stories since I could talk. I liked challenging myself by writing things different from what made me comfortable, so I learned academic writing, technical writing, novel writing, and I was always writing poetry or short stories.




Q: What are common mistakes that you have seen authors make?

A: Some authors are too impatient, that they need to slow down. Also, a lot of writers while writing get stuck on the details of making it perfect rather than focusing on the story.




Q: What are your greatest obstacles and motivators when it comes to writing?

A:  Sometimes, I would write a few stories at the same time, because I found I’d get story block, never writer’s block. Every thing in life can inspire me, and I always have a notebook with me to write down ideas. I never forced the ideas, sometimes, I knew I had to put some kind of grand obstacle in a character’s life to see what would happen.


Q: What is your favorite memory in your career as a writer?

A:  When someone told me that they bought my book, and actually read it.


Q: What is your experience re: self-publishing?


A:  My first few books were print on demand, and this was back in 2005 and there was no google, no amazon, and you either did print on demand for free, or had to pay exorbitant fees to get your book published. Back then, self publishing, was a stigma, and over the years, people are learning, just because it’s self published, doesn’t mean it’s not good. (I’ve read a lot of those, good and bad). I liked self publishing because I have more control. I did, however, submit a few of my books to a traditional publisher, and got accepted, but in the end, decided against it.




Q: What is your most embarrassing writer moment? 

A: In my first book, after it was published, I realized that I named the same character, two different names. So, since I would have to pay to get it republished, I wrote a sequel, and made the two names instead of one person, a set of twins. Years later, when I got the rights back to that first book, I fixed it.


Q: I noticed that one of your books looks to have been co-written, as I saw "McKensie Stewart" on one of the covers...

A: None of my books were co-written, but I did have McKensie write a foreword for my last book. In my workbook, I got permission from some authors to use their work as an example. * My workbook is a book for writers and character development.


~~~ 

 Discover Our Books on Amazon: https://amazon.com/author/lillianbrummet 

 Find us online via these landing pages: 



~~~ 


Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet