Skip to main content

Author Interview


World of Writing - Author Interview



Deb Hockenberry has always wanted to write stories for children and she takes her career seriously. She has taken multiple courses from The Institute of Children’s Literature and the 5 Day Amazon Ad Challenges. She’s also a member of The CBI Clubhouse to keep up with the ever-changing world of children’s writing. 

She has also been published several times in various children’s online magazines. Her debut picture book Where Can We Have the Party? has been very well received by the public. 


Deb tells us that she is a "...Pittsburgh transplant who currently resides in Central Pennsylvania". Between writing her next books, preparing for her upcoming newsletter and volunteering some of her internet skills for her church - Deb is one busy gal.Visit Deb on FaceBook, or drop by her blog HERE 




Q: When you started your book, did you plan on writing it as a series, or did it just grow into one?

I didn't plan on Where Can We Have The Party? turning into a series. It's just working out that way. Actually, the gang from Hungle Bungle Jungle leave room for so many subjects and situations! My next book is a Hungle Bungle Jungle book and is in the hands of the illustrator, now.


Q: What age group did you write for?

I prefer to write for young children of ages three to six. I think that there's room for entertainment for children of all ages, not only ages three to six. I feel this is so important, especially in this world that we currently live in. Where Can We Have The Party? started as just a pure entertainment story. After I wrote it, I saw that there was a little problem solving woven throughout the story appropriate for the age I write for. Sorry. I digressed a bit there!

I'm working on a few other books right now (not Hungle Bungle Jungle books) for other age groups. I'm doing that to see what age group I write best in. It's good to get out of your comfort zone, sometimes.


Q: Why did you write for this particular age group?

I honestly don't know the answer to this. I've always been drawn to the picture book crowd even when I was in elementary school. In fact, I started Where Can We Have The Party? back then, in the 1950s. Well, I was writing it in my head. I'm sorry for putting it that way, but I couldn't think of another way to put it!


Q: Did you find it difficult to choose the right language, images and writing style for reaching this age group?

No, not really. When I proofread the manuscript, I found a couple of spots where I used older words. I had to get out my thesaurus then.


Q: How do you plan to promote this book (or series)?

Ah. We're going to talk marketing. This is an important subject! Where Can We Have The Party? came out in 2017. I didn't know anything about marketing back then. I thought that all I'd have to do is go to book fairs, give readings, visit schools, and Amazon would do my selling online. That was so naïve of me! Selling at book fairs, giving readings, and visiting schools was spot on, but Amazon? Wrong! Amazon doesn't sell for you, you have to create the ads that Amazon runs and get it out there yourself. I know that now. I've been taking the free 5-Day Amazon Ad Challenge from Bryan Cohen in how to create ads and how to create a hook for these ads. You and your readers have probably seen his ads for the course on your Facebook feeds. I've learned so much from Bryan and his team!


Q: Yes, I've taken Bryan's courses too and his staff are equally amazing. Is there anything in your book that is based on a real-life experience?

Yes. Practically the whole story is based on a personal experience. I'm going to take you back in time. Back in the 1950s, I went out to play and discovered that it was a neighbor-girls birthday. I decided to have a party (if you want to call this a party). Remember, those small pretzel sticks that came in a cellophane bag? We had them and her mother made cherry Kool-Aid. Of course, we sang Happy Birthday. That's what gave me the idea for the book.


Q: Why did you feel this book needed to be written?

It wouldn't get out of my head! I guess I mean to say that the idea wouldn't leave me alone. But I didn't write it on paper then, I kept revising the story in my head. As society changed, so did the story.

I remember how the original story was. There was King Lion (who the birthday party was for), kidnappers who had guns, knives, etc. (they kidnapped King Lion), and I forget the animals who rescued him.

I have to say that I felt sure kids would love this story. I must've been a cocky kid, huh? 😊




Q: If you didn't choose to write, what would you have done instead?

I've always wanted to write since I was a kid, but I've always been in love with music. I've entertained the idea of being a gospel singer. I still loves gospel. I've also wanted to go to California and be a folk singer. I wanted to be the next Joan Baez. I was also in love, and still am, with classical music. When I was chosen to be in my junior high school's junior orchestra, I wanted to be in the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. I always came back to writing, though.


Q: When starting a book project do you choose the title first, or does that come later?

In writing a story, first comes the idea, then the outline, and then you write the story. After that, I rack my brain thinking of a good title. As you know, the title is also a hook. Creating a good title is hard. I think it is for everyone.


Q: What criticism about your writing gave you pause, made you re-think your writing style?

The best criticism I've received on this book came from both my mother and my critique group. They were both very helpful. Also, as I mentioned above, as society changed, so did the book. I didn't know it then, but I was rethinking my writing style as well as the rewriting the story.

I mentioned my mother. She was my very first tool as a writer. It was before I had a tape recorder to read my story into. It was also before I took a writing course from the Institute of Children's Literature.

Anyway, when I thought I had the story perfect, I'd run downstairs to read it for Mom's opinion. My mother was so honest that it hurt sometimes. You could depend on it! She usually found things that could be tweaked, parts that sounded to formal, and things like that. 



This went on for several days. I finally got a tape recorder that Christmas and didn't have to bother her. Mom was creative herself, so it didn't really bother her.

Critique groups are so valuable. If any of your readers aren't in one, they should join one. It might take joining and quitting a few groups until they find one they're comfortable with. The feedback and suggestions are very valuable.


Q: What has been the best compliment you received as a writer?

That would have to have been when I gave a reading at a local library. A kindergarten teacher happened to be there. He quietly came up to me and asked if he could link up to my website. He said that I have an affinity for writing for this age group. Of course, I said yes. I was tickled to death!


Q: What difference do you hope to make with the time you are given?

I don't think I really want to make a difference. Then again, maybe I do and don't know it. What I do know is that I want to entertain with my books. What I said before about there has to be room for plain old entertainment? I truly feel passionate about that!


Q: Who would you say was the one that stands out as far as helping you get where you are?

Well, I have to say this. My family is my biggest source for cheerleaders and supporters. Especially, my deceased parents. They truly are. If it wasn't for my family (including my siblings), I know I wouldn't be where I am today. 
I have both a brother and sister who used to write, but gave it up in order to raise families or other reasons. My father was a lay-preacher, so he wrote sermons quite a bit. I have a great uncle who wrote a book. I think the desire to write runs in the family. The people at my church are amazing cheerleaders, too.




~~~ 

 Discover Our Books on Amazon: https://amazon.com/author/lillianbrummet 

 Find us online via these landing pages: 



~~~ 








Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet