Skip to main content

Author Interview

One never knows where being a member of a social networking site's author's group. This is where Alle C. Hall and I first met earlier in April '22 when she reached out to me to begin networking. You know I enjoy featuring other authors on this blog and Alle is here today to tell us more about her fascinating journey in the world of writing.

Alle has recently branched into being a published author, but she has also worked for magazines and other publications in the past. Her work has placed as a 
The Lascaux Prize 
finalist and she won The Richard Hugo House New Works Competition. A Best Small Fictions and Best of the Net nominee, Alle also runs a blog where she shares the publication journey of her books. Drop by these sites below to connect with her: https://allehall.wordpress.com - & -  https://twitter.com/allechall1

World of Writing - Author Interview 

Q: It is wonderful to speak to a writer with so much experience in the realm of this incredibly challenging, yet rewarding career. Writers are entrepreneurs and with the changes to the industry and technology, the ebb and flow of reader interests, and the desires of the creative mind - there is always some challenge to face. What motivates you to keep writing?


A: For novels, I am motivated by the final image.  I will say that when I first had the idea forAs Far as You Can Go Before You have to Come Back , the opening just popped—the teen stealing enough money over four years to run away, all as the abuse continues. I knew she would travel in Southeast Asian, have a rough time of it, and end up in Japan. 

After that, all I had was the final image in conjunction with the last sentence. I wrote toward those for the whole “Japan” section of the novel.

I didn’t realize until you asked this question that my second novel is also driven by the need to share its own final image. I have the last sentence, too. As opposed to the final image of my first novel, which popped, for the second book, I had to write my way to it—a full, very, very crappy draft.



Q: Yes, I understand fully what you are referring to. I sometimes do a similar thing in that I know the direction, the theme and even certain parts pre-written, before I have even begun the first steps for that project. How do you go about focusing your mind or using office time efficiently?

A: I write. There really isn’t much more to it than that. Usually, I re-read a chapter or a few pages from the place that I left off, the previous day; then I let ‘er rip.
Two to eight hours a day—more as family life allows. Quittin’ early ain’t an option.

When I get tired or hit a wall, I make a cup of tea and stretch while it brews, consciously not thinking about the work. Most often, when I return to my little office in the basement, my mind has sorted out the next bit of writing.

I tell my students: five minutes. Set yourself five minutes a day and write. It helps if you write in the same place and at the same time each day, but that isn’t necessary. All that is necessary is that you write. Five minutes a day. That time will grow if you write every day.



Q: That's right  - you offer writing classes as well. We should have you in to talk about that specifically some day. There's a lot of reasons or excuses that artists find to delay or get distracted, but when negative feedback seeps in it can be downright challenging. What keeps you writing while getting rejection letters, or feeling "less-than"?

A: My need for external approbation; I’ve always written to publish.

Three years ago, I heard of the idea of striving for 100 rejections a year. The whole idea is to count rejections, celebrate them, because each rejection is one more step toward the goal of 100 for the year. I grew to expect the rejection, even to think, “Oh, goodie! This rejection is a chance to submit the piece to this other magazine that might be good for this story.”

Of course, the occasional acceptance was even better.

The first year I tried for 100 rejections was 2018. As I started rather late in the year, I only sent 93. 2019: 161; 2020: 160; 2021 was a big year because in addition to sending out short pieces, I was trying to find an agent for As Far as You Can Go. Nothing racks up the submissions like trying to find an agent. 2021: 307.
Rejections: 2018: 99. 2019: 126; 2020: 169; 2021: 258. (I can tell you to the rejection how many of each year’s submission were what I call “good rejections”: a note from the editor, a request to submit more work. That might be getting waaaay to into the weeds.) All this to say, it is clear: the more I sent out and the more rejections I received, the more I published.

All this work does not relieve the pain of the rejections that slip in every now and then and kick me in the chest. Sometimes, I just wanted that particular acceptance so badly. Other times, I couldn’t tell you why I was upset. I just was.

This is the reason I have five journals set up to submit to, as soon as I receive a rejection. With another submission already in the pipeline, I give myself all the permission in the world to have my feelings.



Q: Interesting response! Have you had, and how did you handle, writer's block?

A: I don’t believe in writer’s block so much as I believe in depression. In 30 years of writing, the only time I really couldn’t write—like, for years—was when I suffered seemingly endlessly from postpartum depression. I gave birth to a girl. It was triggering to mother a girl-child when I’d been abused as a girl-child by my mother.

If you want to write and you find yourself blocked and blocked, and blocked, it could be that you have something serious going on that relates to whatever it is you are struggling to write; and that every time you try to write, you are re-triggered, with the added shame of feeling like a failure because you are not writing. In such an instance, a group or a therapist might really help—in your life as well as in your writing.

If I’m blocked for a day or two, I let it ride, work on something else that probably doesn’t need the work; easy stuff. Additionally, I use the time to post a lot of unnecessarily l
ong Facebook comments, and watch a lot of MSNBC. And compulsively overeat. If the stuck doesn’t blow over in a couple days, never you mind. I’ll have my regularly schedule therapy appointment within a few days.



Q: Entrepreneur, mother, writer... somewhere in there you must find time to recharge your batteries, or you couldn't go on. What are some of the ways you go about celebrating joy or fulfilling your self? 

A: Honestly, I enjoy looking through photos of my family with a pot of tea. In the short term, when I run out of writing, I go make myself a cup of Toasted Green Tea (a Japanese dream-come-true called Ban-cha). The times I take a really short break, just to look up and around, clear my head, there about ten framed photos right near my desk. Chronologically, we start with me and my husband on our first travel together. Then we come to a bunch of those adorable babies and children that they were. I could gaze at the baby ones forever. Then we have the kids’ current shots. I am unremittingly amazed by my family, given the family I came from and how terribly life could have turned out for me. To bring that consistent, long-term, joy—especially before I signed a book deal—there is nothing that does it like being successful in way that for me, REALLY matters: my marriage and my children.



Q: Not too long ago, I went through a very interesting experience. As a member of a writer's critique group I shared a short story that was nominated for an award, and a poem that won 2 awards... and the critique surprised me. I wasn't sure if their proposed changes were based on their personal opinion or if they were coming from a literary rule angle, since the magazines and awards seemed to enjoy the pieces as they were originally written. How do you deal with literary criticism?

A: The best way I’ve found to improve as a writer is to get feedback. I know it is scary and hard to hear the negatives about your writing—we’re putting our souls out there, you know? I focus on what the feedback is saying, in terms of how it can improve the work.

If you find yourself in a critique situation where people are being assholes, get out of that group. Start another where love and understanding are the currency. As for the feedback, no matter how caring it comes, there are times when it will hurt. Sorry to say but if you want to improve you are going to have to learn to suck it up.


Q: What is the best money you ever spent as a writer?

A: I spent over $1000 on a freelance editor. In the mid-90s, I started sending As Far as You Can Go to agents, and got a 35% positive response rate—agents asking to see the whole novel based on the first three chapters. Then: no offers. After about six months, I came to the conclusion that something had to be going on in the first three chapters that was not being fulfilled by the rest of the novel.

This is the point at which I see most writers throw away their dreams. Do not do that. Make your book better.

I found a freelance editor, closed my mouth and opened my ears, then spent another year re-writing. Once I started to submit again, I sent out 20 an got an offer. That deal didn’t work out, but—hey! Today, I have a book deal!


Q: I appreciate you sharing the endurance run that we all go through as writers before the book is even published. Once it is published a whole other level of work begins. We do it though, because we love it. Did writing this book change your life in any way?

A: As Far as You Can Go is a first-person novel about an incest survivor who learns to thrive. Clearly, there is a lot of my self engaged in the telling of this story. Which is not to say that I wrote down my real-life account, changed everyone’s hair color, and called it fiction. It is more that all the emotional realizations came from my life.
What I had to say about surviving incest and learning to thrive had to come out, book-length; otherwise, the same ideas would have tried to poke themselves into every long-form thingy I wanted to write. While working on As Far as You Can Go, I was able to do movie and theater reviews and not have that piece crying out to talk about surviving. However, once I got into an essay or, certainly, the next novel, I had to have the incest windshield wiped clean.


Q: Are there things you need, or an ambiance you require, to feel comforted and inspired to write?

A: Who has that luxury? I want their life. Had I my druthers, I like silence, I like my sweet office with its ergonomic set-up, right in my house, with tea readily available; and husband and children who come home about 4pm, just as I am winding down for the day.

That said, waiting for the perfect environment is like waiting for the muse to strike. The muse rarely strikes. You hunt her down. The perfect environment rarely appears, especially when someone first starts writing and is feeling out all sorts of things about how they work. I’ve written on airplanes with the adjacent passenger not inches from my screen. I’ve written in the front seat of the car, my legs propped against the steering wheel, waiting for my then-young children to finish whatever class they were taking. I’ve never written at the beach. I’d be worried about getting sand in my computer; but I have written pool-side. I wrote at iHop for a while. Eggs Florentine, endless coffee. It gets pretty mellow at iHop, when the lunch rush is over and the dinner one hasn’t kicked in.






Comments

  1. Thank you Alle for dropping in and sharing some of your writing experiences with our readers !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet