Skip to main content

World of Entrepreneurship


Speaker and award-winning author Lynn Mclaughlin and I met in late December 2022 after I stumbled upon her YouTube channel and reached out to her. It has been very interesting to get to know her better over the last few months - her children's series, conferences, and workshops... and her passionate child mental health advocacy work. 

In the past, Lynn has held titles like Superintendent of Education, Principal, Vice-Principal, Teacher, and Educational consultant. She continues to be active in education, teaching future Educational Assistants at a local College. She's currently  in the transition stage of shifting a podcast over to an internet radio show sometime in May - which is really exciting for her. I was lucky enough to be a guest in her April 2023 e-newsletter (* thank you Lynn *) and today we are honoured to share with you this fantastic discussion about Lynn's entrepreneur experiences. 
Visit her @: http://lynnmclaughlin.com


Q:
Being an entrepreneur isn't easy - What led to your being in the position you are now - running this company?

A:
I was a full-time educator for 31 years - everything from the teacher, consultant, and principal to superintendent. My husband was a police officer at the time. 

After one year as a superintendent, my world was abruptly halted by the diagnosis of a brain tumour. I had ignored symptoms and was literally a walking time bomb. My craniotomy was three weeks later with 8 months of recovery time to follow. 

When things like this happen in our lives, we ask, "Why me?" and try to find some message hidden in the fear and trauma.

That experience forced me to get off of the treadmill and seek my true purpose. It wasn't until I retired five years later that I discovered the world of entrepreneurship. I began networking with women locally who ran their own businesses. I had never heard of them and many had a crisis that led them to where they were. A year later, I founded Lynn McLaughlin Inc.

Q: When you look back on your earlier life, are there points that stand out as developing the entrepreneurial spirit you now possess? 

A: My father was a musician and traveled from the time I was nine years old. I was the oldest of four in our family and became a second parent, now referred to as Parentification. As we grew older, my parents separated and divorced. It wasn't until I experienced crises in my own life that I came to understand why I am such a control freak. Mom had to leave early for work in the morning to "steal from Peter to pay for Paul" to make ends meet. I was responsible for making sure everyone was ready for school and boarding the bus. I began working at the age of 14 babysitting across the street. By the time I was 16, I was pumping gas and working in a dry cleaning factory. I appreciate this question because responsibility is engrained in me.

Q: What kind of culture exists in your organization and how did you establish it?

A: Collaboration. It's the most important component for us here. I would never have been able to build a successful business without learning from others. We have many experts who are incredible people who are honoured to guide us. Build a collaborative community of people you trust who will not only support you but ask the right questions and hold you accountable.

As an active Rotarian, Lynn is dedicated to community causes. She is a member of 100 Women Who Care Windsor/Essex and works tirelessly to support the goals of the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada

Q: How do you generate new ideas?

A: I listen to my gut. At first I played the "squirrel game" jumping from this to that trying to figure out what worked. New tech and marketing strategies are being introduced almost daily. Don't jump on the bandwagon. Having a clear vision and mission that you stick to helps you to stay focused. I know my target audience. 

I now have a voluntary advisory board of people I have come to call friends. Each has an area of expertise that we can all draw from. When we recently amended our vision, mission and branding - they were integral to getting me there. I make all final decisions but would not be where I am today without collaboration. It goes both ways and I love mentoring others as well. No competition when we work as a team.

As a writer, my most creative time is when I am out walking in nature. I use my phone voice recorder when I have new ideas and can call that up at any time when I am ready to write. The children's book series I am now co-authoring with my niece would never have become what it is without our team working together. Our illustrator is part of the team and the three of us bounce ideas off of each other that makes it fun and exciting.

Q: What are your most favorite aspects of running a business? What gives you the most joy?

A: 
Every time I meet a new podcast guest or do a community or school interactive presentation, I am in awe. Every person indeed has a story. When we open up the possibilities to hear those stories, it gives us a new perspective. That's one of the reasons I love writing and became an author. I've been journaling since I was 10 years old. It's cathartic. 

There are many ways for us to share or hear the stories of others and I love being able to provide a platform for people to do so. When a parent or educator attends one of our sessions and tells us how they are going to use what we have shared with their families or students, wow! Baby steps lead to change.

Q: What other eco-friendly, energy saving steps have you taken? 

A: When I first became an author in 2017, I was taken aback at how much packaging there is for shipping books. Driving to pick them up solved that problem. We have now discovered a printing company right here in our county that is printing all of our books at a very reasonable cost and I can drop them off and pick them up at my convenience. It's saved on packaging, fuel, time, and more. When we receive orders for personalized inscribed books, we do not use bubble wrap packaging either.

Q: What advice would you give to first-timers, people just starting or wanting to start a small business?

A: Find a mentor. I wasted a lot of time and money signing up for webinars, following YouTubers, taking courses etc. The money I spent doing that would have been a much better investment with a guru in the field.

Join networks of collaborators in your field. I have met many of my podcast guests and influencers globally through online meet-ups. You will know which ones fit and which do not. Over time, you can be more strategic in your choices but explore at first! People are what are going to bring you joy, encouragement, and drive. No one needs to reinvent the wheel.

Q: What have you done to stand out, to offer something different and intriguing to customers? 

A: Children, youth, and adults are in crisis globally, struggling with their mental health. Death by suicide is increasing and has been since before the pandemic for a variety of reasons. Being proactive brings hope for the future. Our children are growing up in a very complex world. What worked for us, is not working for many of them. When we begin to connect their emotional health with ours, we create synergy. Learning new skills and strategies as adults helps us to model for our children and has incredible potential to calm minds and build a world of empathy and care. We learn to prioritize taking care of our own well-being and supporting those who need help.




Q: When you are having a bad day, feeling stressed or overwhelmed - how do you shake those feelings off and start again?

A: Those feelings come for a reason. I think it's important that we can identify why we have those emotions and then find a way to work through them. That's what emotional intelligence is all about and what we are trying to teach children. I intentionally leave blocks of time in my schedule for my own self-care. That may mean blasting the music and doing some exercise, taking a walk or meeting a friend. By doing so,I have less chance of feeling overwhelmed. I also block my calendar schedule so people can only book in to meet with me during times I set. Regardless, things happen and there are times when I am indeed feeling stressed. I think about what it was like when I was diagnosed with the brain tumour and that puts things back in perspective. I take the time to go for a walk to decompress when I can, and create a plan to move forward. It may be rescheduling appointments, it may be a collaborative session with my team or it may be a video call to my kids. Perspective makes all the difference in the world.

I have been to counselling more than once, taken meditation classes, and learned mindfulness activities. Counselling got me through the most challenging times of my life. For me, talking to someone I have no connection with brings clarity. Keep the doors open to all possibilities and seek help when you need it.


Q: When it comes to promotions and marketing, what do you consider is the most important? 

A: 
- Know what you can handle and what you need to hand off. I hired a virtual assistant to create my audio and video promotions. I use CANVA myself for many things but do not have the creativity or expertise he does.

- Make sure you have one key place you drive all people to. For me, it's my website. When I post a podcast interview, the link is to my website. When I promote public/community speaking engagements, I take people to my website.

- Be sure to have a magnet that offers people something they want and connects them to your brand. There are experts who can help you do that but building your email community is critically important. It's the only thing you have total control of. Social media presence is important but the "rules" change regularly with each platform. Some people have a Facebook group as the key place to take clients. If you know where your audience is, you can make that critical decision.

- Be visible. How do people know who you are and what you are making available to them? Find something unique which makes you stand out. Personal stories are always a way to connect with people.

- I have a two year marketing plan which is revised regularly. For example, now that I know I will be hosting a radio show, I can change my "pitch" to corporate sponsors. It's ever-evolving but if you don't have the plan to guide you, you'll flounder.

- Book yourself into podcasts, radio, tv shows that have a following. Be sure to share them to increase your visibility. Local media is always helpful.

Q: Where do you see the future of the company heading?

A: We just started our third year and what we are doing now is crystal clear. We are passionate about giving kids the tools and strategies they need to manage their emotions before the age of 10. I envision a world of empathy, where children grow up with self-compassion, emotional regulation, responsibility, confidence, problem-solving and social skills. We are accustomed to waiting for symptoms to appear before acting on our health. It's time to be proactive. 

The last six months have been exhilarating. As we rebranded to this specific focus, we are now entering the corporate sponsorship world and my podcast is now moving to a live internet radio show which will be broadcast three times a week worldwide. 

The book series is almost complete and our partnership with a non-profit agency is about to be finalized. This means we will reach more families globally. Each and every time a single person changes their way of thinking about our emotional well-being and takes action drives us. When families talk about their feelings and emotions as a natural part of their day, and schools include mindfulness as part of every day - I'll be dancing longer in the street!

Q: We've done some networking, you and I... tell us about the ways you've gone about networking with others in the industry..

A: You have ideas I had not considered before Lillian. I remember when we first connected through a zoom call to see what we have in common. There is so much! We began following each other on various platforms. Commenting and sharing are other ways to support. Writing this for you to share as blog content is one way we are supporting each other. I have included information about you and your company in one of my Lynn's Blitz emails with a direct link to your website. As a previous live radio show host, your guidance as I prepare for the first show has been awesome! You have a wealth of experience and learning from and collaborating with you is fantastic.

Q: Wow ! Thank you for those very kind words, and I do feel the same. It is really special when two entrepreneurs can collaborate as we have, and will continue to doAny advice for small business owners re: facing challenging, and often unforeseen, situations.

A:
- Build a team. Some have what they refer to as "accountability partners" and meet regularly. Have people you trust, can bounce ideas off of, share a plan and help you stick to it. They are also the people you can call when you are stuck or have an unexpected detour.

- Have a mentor who specializes in the area of your business. At first, this person will be critical in helping you create your vision, mission and purpose. If you are clear on that from the beginning, you can say "no" to many things that will not get you to where you need to go.

- It's tough at first but deposit funds into your business account that you can handle. You'll be spending money before you begin to bring some in. Choose strategically. Ask: "Will this investment meet my vision and mission and take me forward in my plan?"




Comments

  1. Thank you, Lynn, for sharing your time and expertise with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet