Skip to main content

World of Writing - Author Interview


World of Writing - Author Interview


* Shout out to Nicole Ballengee of PRByTheBook.com for connecting us with today's guest.


Sasha Olsen is a 10-year-old author, environmental activist, ballroom dancer, bookworm and pianist. Sasha enjoys anything artistic and easily finds new hobbies and creative things to do, which usually ends up in her trying to juggle everything that she is interested in. The experiences she had while on vacation in Asia and being raised within close proximity to the ocean fed her passion for the environment, which is one of the reasons why she became an author. 
She lives with her family in Florida (US) where she also spearheads the conservation non-profit: I Want My Ocean Back. Attending beach clean up events and writing articles to spread the word about the project keep her quite busy. We are honoured to feature Sasha today and invite her to share some of her experiences with her first book: Legends From Mom’s Closet 


Q: When you started your book, did you plan on writing it as a series, or did it just grow into one?

I began Legends from Mom’s Closet last summer when I had to spend time indoors because of stormy weather. The idea came to me because I started dressing up in my mom’s clothes as different legendary people that I learned about. I love reading books, especially biographies. I hope everyone loves the first one, so we can release more soon!



Q: What age group did you write for?

For everybody of course, but if I had to say a specific age group, probably 9 and up!



Q: Why did you write for this particular age group?

I wrote for this age group, because I was 10 when I started writing this book, so I want other kids my age to read it and get inspired to be creative and try it out.



Q: Did you find it difficult to choose the right language, images and writing style for reaching this age group?

Of course! The photos my mom helped me with. I’m obviously still learning and working on my writing skills, so my cousin Narmina gave me a lot of advice and helped me publish my book.



Q: How do you plan to promote this book (or series)?

I’m definitely telling all my friends and family about it! It was actually a big surprise to my dad, who always inspires me to work hard. I also have a website, use social media and have a YouTube channel, where I post other legends and videos about my book.



Q: Is there anything in your book that is based on a real-life experience?

Yes, the whole book is pretty much a true story! I actually did spend my summer indoors, because it was raining a lot and I couldn’t go outside much. Like I said, I love reading biographies, so after reading about these legendary women, I wanted to dress as up as them to pretend like I was living their life. Then, I felt like I wanted to share it with other kids because it’s so much fun to bring your knowledge to life! That same summer, I actually also started I want my ocean back, my movement to help save the oceans. I learned a lot about how fast fashion hurts and pollutes our oceans. That made me realize that we should use what we already have to dress up and create ideas, which is why I want my book to also show everyone that we need to buy vintage and secondhand!



Q: What makes a good story? 


There are a few things that make a good story: 

- A strong character. 
- An author that believes in their story. 
- A plot that makes you feel like you’re a part of the story. 

Depending on the type of book, I also love colourful photos and something interactive.


Q: Do you have any suggestions to help others become a better writer?

Definitely! My suggestions are to never give up and don’t be afraid to ask others for help.



Q: What advice would you give to someone who is interested in your topic/genre?

Try to come up with a unique idea! Use your imagination and think outside the box.



Q: What are your thoughts on the publishing industry?

It can be challenging to self-publish but it’s definitely possible, especially if you believe in yourself.




~~

Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca

~~


Comments