Skip to main content

Children's author interview




World of Writing - Author Interview


Author Angela Legh joins us today to share her experiences in the realm of writing and to discuss an important social issue we should all be more aware of. For 54 years, Angela was bullied, first by her father, then by the man she married. In both life stages, a fire caused the family to break up. This experience led to her emotional intelligence guidance in the form of the children's book series, The Bella Santini Chronicles, received high praise and is known for helping children learn to manage their emotions. Visit Angela on Instagram or LinkedIn.



Q: When you started writing this project, did you plan on it being a series, or did it grow into one? 

A: I began writing the series as a story for a friend's daughter. The story developed into a 50,000-word document, too big for the age group I was writing for. So, on the advice of my publisher, I split the document into books one and two of the Bella Santini Chronicles. I had no intention of writing a series, but the story kept flowing! I am writing book five, and the adventure appears to have several potential offshoots. 


Q: What age group did you write for?

A: I write for ages 8-12, the tween years when kids are still receptive to adult input and interactions. I hope that giving them tools and strategies for emotional management creates a space for them to thrive through their teen years and adult life. 

We can all remember our middle school years and how awkward we may have felt. Grounding children in self-love; with tools for managing emotions can ease their struggles through these trying years. 



Q: Why did you write for this particular age group?

A: I started writing a story for Isabella, my friend’s daughter, a nine-year-old girl. As the story opened, I realized that the wisdom available to kids through these books would have made a tremendous difference in my life if I had learned these concepts at a young age. 

I believe this is a critical age for children to learn emotional intelligence; younger children may not understand the ideas, and older children may not be attracted to books they consider juvenile. If, at age nine, you knew how to deactivate an emotional trigger, could you have avoided emotional pain as an adult?


Q: Is there anything in your book that is based on a real-life experience?


A: 
Stories are an excellent way to share life lessons without pointing fingers or blaming others. In book two of the Bella Santini Chronicles, some wraiths mesmerize the fairies, then suck the life out of them. This section of the book struck me as a metaphor for living with an energy vampire. 

In both the book and real life, unconditional love is the energy that heals. But in real life, it is hard to give unconditional love to individuals who hurt us.



Q: Why did you feel this book needed to be written?

A: Now is a time of awakening; we cannot take our baggage with us. Providing tools and strategies for emotional management means people have less baggage to release. Beyond this, identifying and noticing our feelings helps us be more present in our bodies. I believe the practice of being in the present moment, being quiet, and being aware of yourself and your surroundings, is a key to becoming our best selves. 


Q: What makes you laugh/cry?

A: When I hear children’s laughter, my heart soars. There is so much joy evident; I find it very up-lifting. My fiancé, Dr. Richard Kaye, has a gift of making me laugh. His non-sequiturs and silly jokes fill our world with laughter. 

What makes me cry is hearing about children taking their lives. My heart breaks; I know each child has a unique gift with unique magic to share with the world. I don’t want us to lose any more children to suicide.


Q: What is the wisest thing anyone has said to you?

A: My fiancé quotes the Talmud, "We don't see the world as it is; we see it as we are." This simple statement reveals that we carry filters given to us by the adults in our lives through which we see the world. 

Once we understand this, we can use different strategies to rewrite the stories of our lives to let go of filters and perspectives which no longer serve us. I have implemented several strategies included in the children’s books, which allowed me to let go of being told I was worthless as a child. 



Q: 
Where do you get your plot concepts; what is your inspiration?

A: I do not plot out my books; the stories flow through my fingers onto the page. Sometimes ideas will pop into my head while walking in nature; other times, through dreams. I don’t often talk about this because it sounds weird, but I believe the angelic realm is channeling the concepts through me. I cannot claim to have conceived all the situations in which Bella finds herself. 




~~~ 

 Discover Our Books on Amazon: https://amazon.com/author/lillianbrummet 

 Find us online via these landing pages: 



~~~ 






 

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet