Skip to main content

Healthy Eating Benefits Creativity




Dee Doanes is the author of the paranormal mystery fiction book, The Man With the Green Suitcase. She’s active in several charities and conducts a youth poetry workshop for the Atlanta Writers Club Youth Writing Camp, and is the former co-chair of the Writing in the Schools Program for Georgia Writers.



I asked Dee to tell us a little about herself and this is what she had to say: “I’m Dee Doanes, a writer and healthy food and healthy living enthusiast.  Most people know I’m a writer but I’m also a life-long healthy food enthusiast. Or, as some close friends call me, “a health food nut.” Writing is important but eating healthy is even more important. Without eating healthy food on a regular basis you don’t have good health, which affects everything in your life, including the creativity of a writer. It makes sense for writers to eat healthy foods to increase creativity so they can tell their wonderful tales.” www.deedoanes.com

Writers Can Boost Creativity By Eating Healthy Foods


Writers, What Kind of Creativity Can Healthy Foods Induce? 

Eating an apple a day can help a romance writer describe a beautiful and strong heroine that gets swept off her feet. A thriller writer can pen a most dastardly villain. Or, a horror writer can create the scariest monster imaginable.  Perhaps this is the secret of Jackie Collins, Stephen King, and Tom Clancy.  As a writer it’s comforting to know that eating an apple or kale salad can help make my books masterpieces and bestsellers on Amazon!
I wonder if…An Apple a Day Keeps the Bad Book Reviews Away
If so, then let me pass the bushel to writers everywhere!

Put Your Passion For Writing Into Healthy Food Eating
I’m passionate about eating healthy foods. My diet consists primarily of ninety percent organic, GMO free produce, wild caught fish, and herbal supplements and vitamins.  I truly believe because of my diet I’m able to come up with creative plots and sub-plots for my books. Writing interesting characters and developing action scenes take a lot of brain power so why not increase creativity with fresh fruits and vegetables. I’m a bit of a gym rat diva, so four days a week in the gym is a must. In the gym I do body weight training and free weights. And working out I fill up on healthy foods.
I can’t stress enough that every meal you eat needs to have a generous portion of raw fruit and/or vegetables. You also can lightly steam or roast veggies. I love to season my veggies with Himalayan or Celtic salt, with a dash of fresh cracked pepper. Yummy! I eat mainly fish, very little red meat. And I DON’T drink sodas. Major Yuck… and unhealthy.   

Reasons For Writers to Eat Healthy Foods 

·      Increases energy so you can stay up late and write all night
·      Normalizes blood pressure (Much needed for when you get book agent rejection letters
·      Clears brain fog to help with writers block

My Writer’s Healthy Food Diet 

·      First thing every morning I take Dr. Mercola’s Complete Probiotics with a tall glass of room temperature filtered water. I love Dr. Mercola! He’s a well-known osteopathic physician and natural health expert. You probably have seen him on the Dr. Oz Show.
·      I eat several pieces of organic fruit and then wait 30 minutes before eating veggies or fish.
·      I eat a light meal. I choose from: sardines, salmon, steamed brussel sprouts, roasted eggplant, a spinach salad (with fresh garlic or onions), roasted beets, Hilary’s brand adzuki bean veggie burger, brown or basmati rice. These are my favorites.
·      I drink another glass of water AFTER eating and take several herbal supplements and vitamins. (Kyolic garlic formula 106, vitamin D3, cayenne, Vitamin Code women’s raw whole food capsules, and occasionally, Zyflamend, for the pains of vigorous fitness training.)
·      I snack throughout the day on nuts and dried cranberries, cacao chips, sardines, figs, or prunes.
·      I eat two or three light meals depending on if I’m exercising that day.
·      I do eat junk food once a week, just not every day. I have a sweet tooth and love key lime pie!

Healthy Foods To Boost Writers Creativity   

·      Fish (Contain Omega-3 fatty acids improves brain function)
·      Nuts (Esp. walnuts. Have protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins E and B6 promote healthy neural tissue)
·      Oils (I like cold pressed olive oil and coconut oil is great too)
·      Apples (Contain quercetin that helps protect the brain from oxidative damage)


Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well! 




Comments

  1. Thanks for posting my article. I'm passionate about living a healthy lifestyle. Your blog is so helpful to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this article. Good health is not something you buy from a drugstore or supermarket, but can be achieved by training the collective patterns of health-related behaviors. Thanks for writing this informative article.

    Regards,
    Mantis Hugo
    Goji Berry Juice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. re: your link...Goji berry... Just planted some last year, love them! I so agree Mantis Hugo, thank you for your comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet