Skip to main content

World of writing - Author Interview



Author Interview

* A note of appreciation goes out to Leslie Barrett, publicist at PRByTheBook.com, who pointed today's guest our way. 

Today we are joined by author Tinita Kearney for yet another author interview on our blog. (We try to schedule one interview per month). Dr. Kearney is a speech pathologist who has recently released Lola Koala’s Travel Adventures, a fun book that teaches kids aged 2-6 critical language skills through an enchanting, 22-page adventure. Check out her newest children’s book series at lolakoala.com and subscribe to get weekly communication tips and tricks.




Q: What is your education/career background?

I have had a desire to work with young children since high school and have done that for every job I've had since that time. I am now a paediatric speech-language pathologist and I take great joy in helping little ones improve their speech and language skills both in my private practice and in the public school system that I work with. It is this love of children and my vested interest in their progress that drove me to create the Lola Koala's Travel Adventures book series.

Q: What inspired your story?

School year after school year, I am met with a caseload of unique, eager-to-learn elementary-school-aged students with not-so-unique speech and language issues. And while a percentage of these students have difficulties that require intensive therapy (plus the dedicated involvement of the family and school team), a good portion requires much less involvement from me. It's this group that I aim to help with my books -- by empowering their families to build their language skills at home with consistent, fun practice and resources!

Q: What person(s) has/have helped you the most in your career?

My third-grade teacher, Kristen Potter, played a crucial role in teaching me that I could achieve anything that I could imagine. She was one of those teachers from the storybooks -- patient, kind, encouraging, fun -- the kind you think don't really exist! I wish every student in the world could benefit from the amazing effects of having an awesome teacher who sows greatness into your future. I just love that lady!




Q: What was your favorite book as a child?

As a child, I loved the A Wrinkle In Time series. I also loved the American Girl: Addy book series (and all things 'Addy') by Connie Rose Porter.

Q: What was your greatest challenge in writing this book?

Rhyming! It was so much harder than I anticipated -- coming up with rhyming words that naturally fit within the story was a huge challenge in and of itself!


~~
 
Visit the Brummet's @: http://BrummetMedia.ca
 
~~




Comments