Skip to main content

World of Writing Interview

World of Writing Interview



Today we are joined by our online friend Lisa Pellegrene who would like to share her experiences in the realm of writing. 

Her experience is vast: Lisa is an established media professional helping her clients attain media features, as well as nurturing her own work in both television and film. 

Her forthcoming, relaunch of Peace, Love, Unity Dance Troupe is slated for production in 2023.

Lisa has a background producing in film, and appeared on a segment of World’s Best Beaches

She is an established strategic consultant who has assisted companies with business model development.  She is the author of 2 books, so far:  Be Epic, Choose Love  - and -  A Glimpse Into the Sunshine. Lisa is a well-known animal welfare advocate and has been vegan for more than 10 years. 

Drop by to view her books on Amazon or drop by her site here: www.officiallisapellegrene.com  





Q: Lisa there is so much I want to ask you and actually I'd love to have you back to speak more about your work in the media and I'd love to discuss your passion for animals further. Dave and I too were vegans for about 5 years, moved into vegetarianism and now balance a low-meat mostly fruit, grain and vegetable diet. My passions for animals goes deep too - we always adopt from shelters or take on unwanted pets, pet sit for friends and neighbours. On my mom's farm we worked with groups that specialized in saving rare and endangered plant and animal species from extinction. ... however that is another topic that we will certainly have to cover next time. 


Today we are discussing your experiences as an author. Your work in film and in PR involves a lot of writing too, but I understand that you have 2 published books now available as well. Did you take any writing classes?


A: I didn’t take any writing classes, per se except of course for the writing classes in high school and college that were a part of the core curriculum. I have been writing all of my life, truly as long as I can remember. It started out as journaling when I was young, and then in college I would help other students to write their term papers. 

I then worked for advertising and public relation firms for a few years prior to starting my strategic consulting and publicity company in Los Angeles. Everything blossomed from this point on. I wrote (and developed) many business plans when I started my business. Then, having studied journalism in school, I continue to write and publish articles for clients who are looking to expand the reach of their work. 

Having a background in television and film, and being a natural storyteller with many real life stories to share, as well as understanding the depth of characters and storylines in film, I’ve been asked to assist with script writing to develop stories.

As an author, I believe this was a natural progression, too. My first book: Be Epic, Choose Love, just happened! I woke up one day with an immense level of gratitude, having overcome major things at times in my life - knowing that I am blessed to be alive and to thrive. I also know this life is a gift. So my impetus for writing Be Epic, Choose Love was from a place of gratitude and wanting to share the message that choosing love is true strength and it’s how one overcomes adversity to rise up and thrive in this life. 

I started writing one morning, and it wasn’t until I was about 60 pages into the book, that I realized I was writing a book. My motivation, when I began writing that day, was to help people to overcome their obstacles, and to rise up and thrive too - reminding all that choosing love for oneself and others is very powerful.



Q: Did writing this first book change your life in any way?


A: My first book most definitely changed my life in a positive way. I feel this book personally helped me to connect with people in a profound way. People started writing to me, those I know and those I don’t know began to tell me that my book changed their lives in a positive way. 

I have been told various inspiring things that make my heart and soul happy, and thankful. One friend said that he reads my book when he feels anxious and it brings him peace. Another friend said that my book reminded him that love does exist in this world. Love starts with each of us and perpetuates to inspire others, as we ALL have the ability to choose it. One friend said: "the world needs to read this book,” and another bought two copies for each of his sons to inspire them.


When I wrote this book, I first sent what I was writing to my mom who said: “Honey, this is so beautiful, please keep writing.” And so I did, and then it became a book that I couldn’t wait to publish because I knew of its potential to truly help people. 

Personally, it is a message that I had to share with the world, one of choosing love and that in and of itself (that I was able to do this) inspires gratitude within me. The words simply flowed as I wrote. In terms of editing, I changed very little, it came down to copy edits as the content is what flowed as I wrote, and it stayed that way upon publishing it. The gratitude that comes from helping people is immeasurable. 

The accomplishment of writing a meaningful, purposeful book that I have been able to already get into some retailers has been pretty amazing. I have strong faith and I know God had a hand in guiding me to write it, as it is because of Him we are here in the first place and have the gifts and talents given to us. So, there was definitely divine intervention in writing it, and my authentic voice and experiences flowed in the form of the written world to help lift up others. I think when I realized that my book was reaching strangers and inspiring them too, this is a very rewarding feeling too. 

I once called a national company to talk about their services (nothing related to my book), and the man said: “Are you the Lisa Pellegrene who wrote “Be Epic, Choose Love?

I said: "yes" (surprised!). 

He said: “Now I have to read your book! I can’t wait to tell my friend I spoke with you; she has been telling me that I need to read your book.” 

So all of it makes me happy and extremely thankful to share an authentic message that is helping people.




Q: When you look around your work environment, do items stand out to you as something special?


A: Yes, there is something very special in my work environment. About a year ago or so I was speaking with a customer service representative at another national company. We started speaking about the work each of us had done in TV/FILM, and our writing work. He was a screenwriter who wanted to get back into screenwriting. We shared many stories, and he said he felt very inspired by our conversation. 

I would say it was a week or so later that I received a package from Amazon at my doorstep. And I thought, “what is this?” as I hadn’t been expecting anything. Well, it was something beautiful and it was from the customer service representative who I spoke with at length. The package included art that says simply, and very profoundly, “Write and Save the World.” 

He included a nice note stating (as I paraphrase him) to: "Never give up on your dreams and to keep writing". He also indicated that he was very inspired by our call. I include the picture of this in my book, A Glimpse Into the Sunshine, as well as what he wrote in his note verbatim!




Q: Where do you hope to take your writing in the future?


A: I plan to write more books. I have so many stories to share that are inspirational from my real life accounts, such as moving to a city when I was in my mid twenties with $12 in my pocket, staying with a friend and turning that around to finding an amazing job in the city. I knew I only had $12 (very literally), and that was enough to make it to downtown DC from my apartment via bus and the metro. I proceeded to take a waitressing job (hired on the spot, must have been my determination and NEED to be hired on the spot) at a busy DC restaurant. I began working double shifts. I would work so late that one of the friends I met there and I would go to the 24 hour restaurants in NW DC in the wee hours of the morning, before I would take a cab back home (too late for the metro at that hour, to be safe).


One day while taking the metro to work, I was scouted by a modelling agency that turned out to be legitimate. I thought, this is “movie stuff,” it can't be real life, and even at the age of 25, I knew enough to check them out extensively before calling the number on the card. Well, it turned out it was a real talent/modelling agency with a great reputation, and then I started working there… gainfully employed as a petite fashion model, and working in-house at the agency interviewing other talent. 

It was a great experience, and one of course, I did not expect! I realized I wanted to do other things though and left after about a year. The story is pretty amazing, even when I think back it’s astounding to me. This story demonstrates that when we are determined and “put ourselves in the position for good things to be bestowed upon us” (a quote I once wrote), and persevere, we can accomplish a lot.

This is part of my story though, and I have many inspirational and eventful stories to share. Simply put though with my writing I want to continue to inspire, motivate and uplift others. I want others to realize that there is so much good that we can do in this world when we make the decision to seek it, persevere and to do work and live life in a way that makes our heart sing. I also hope to inspire more love and compassion, as the world needs much more of that. I do think my books do just that, and I hope both reach many more people.




Q: You raise a very good point in your closing statement above... where you speak about believing in your books. One must truly believe in their work, know that there is a reason for this book or article to exist, because that fuels their drive to get it published and do the many years of marketing ahead. So let's go back to the writing process itself - When starting a book project do you choose the title first, or does that come later?


A: This has happened both ways for me. I think it depends on the book and how the creative process organically flows. As I mentioned, I didn't even know I was writing a book with my first book, until I was pretty far into it. After writing about 60 pages of it, this is when I came up with the name. I naturally wrote this book to flow lyrically and poetically with a spoken word feel. How the name came about was my thinking about epic poems where I look at them as someone who has endured a lot, who then rises up to share a message of what they know or have learned with the world. My message is one of love, faith, hope, truth and perseverance as love perseveres. So this is how Be Epic, Choose Love became the title - it fit, but I only knew this after writing a great deal of it.


In terms of A Glimpse Into the Sunshine, I came up with the idea for the book, and then promptly the title, before I even started writing it. Given all of the isolation so many of us experienced during the pandemic (as well as plenty of time to reflect) I had been thinking back to my countless positive experiences where life felt surreal. I have always lived life as the gift that it is, and fully!. So I started to recall the many stories I have that seemed almost like an inspiring movie - yet they are real - living life to the fullest. 

I wrote A Glimpse Into the Sunshine truly at first to cheer myself up during the pandemic, so to speak, yet I knew it would also inspire others to remember their happiest times where they felt most authentic and alive. I believe that when we understand what has brought us joy throughout our lives, we have a crucial role to play in our own lives to continue to choose experiences that continue to bring us joy, and to inspire that joy and love to others around us, too.



Q: What has been the best compliment you received as a writer?


A: Truly there are so many. As I mentioned my mom said, “honey this is so beautiful, please keep writing.” She encouraged me to keep writing and I did. A friend from Indonesia who loves my book so much, he started buying it for others close to him. He even bought one for his ex, to encourage his ex to learn to be more loving and kind. Another friend said that when she started reading it, she felt warmth and comfort, and she said that I said things that most people feel yet don’t have the courage to be vulnerable enough to state them from a pure hearted, experience based and authentic perspective. I think hearing “the world needs to read this book,” from several people really made me feel a lot of gratitude, as I wrote this book with the motivation of helping others to choose love and to know that true strength is choosing love, and I believe in many cases, it is doing just that!




Q:What kinds of marketing, advertising or promotional activities have worked most effectively for you, in your unique situation?  


A: I have found that truly connecting with people has been the most powerful element. 

I think my book by nature does that very authentically and from a pure place of love. Getting into the nitty gritty so to speak of how I did that, well, reaching out to family and friends to let them know about my book encouraged the readership at the onset. I have also early on shared complimentary copies of the book with certain people. I set up distribution to be able to get it into the stores. 


Sharing stories on social media also helps immensely, and tagging the stores that carry the book. I work as a publicist too, and have done so consistently for the past 7 years. I utilize my journalism background to write and publish articles and to book interviews. I have done a bit of that for myself, and yes it most definitely helps. 

Articles in the media (and I know how to write AP style to be able to get inspiring articles published) definitely helps one to tell their story and to reach a larger audience. 

...Should other authors visiting us here on this blog today need my assistance to launch a publicity campaign,  I am happy to assist. I love what I do, assisting others, and my PR company has the mission and title: Publicity With Purpose helping others elevate reach and bring forth additional opportunities too.


 


~~~ 

 Discover Our Books on Amazon: https://amazon.com/author/lillianbrummet 

 Find us online via these landing pages: 



~~~ 






Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet