Skip to main content

Poetry Time


This monthly blog post series celebrates the world of poetry, sharing one or two poems per post - featuring other guest poet's work, or our own.

The poem Years Go By (below) was excerpted from the book Rhythm & Rhyme, one of the books in our Playing With Words series available, of course, on Amazon

Reading one's own work can be an emotional experience. We might cringe or cry or smile and feel pride... all at once. lol There's one phrase I want to clarify from below - Self Sufficiency - by this I meant standing strong within myself, without a need for crutches or continue walking wounded through life.

 Check out the From The Author section below the poem:)

Years Go By

Years go by, 
And by,
And by.

As they pass, words written
Glow with memories.

Witness the five-year phases
Where goals shift 
From “survival” to “recovery”;

From “amalgamation” to “lifestyle”…

To “passion”, “bliss” and “legacy”.

From “education” – to “job security”;

To developing “Self”…

Hit a slump for a while -
But now I find I am on this journey

Of “self-discovery, self-improvement…
…self-sufficiency”.


A weariness often settles in
A yearning to leave this world
And like Walden, live in nature

Knowing age thunders in 
Unwanted, unwelcome...
Threatening pain 
And financial stress

Making dreamy disappearance 
Implausible.

Weary days blend
While I strive to stretch
And bend and re-shape
Myself.


*From The Author:

This was written while prepping the Rhythm & Rhyme manuscript, re-reading Towards Understanding and a few of the more recent poetry. The loss of deeply loved fur-kids, exhaustion from decades of caregiving for various parents, and the subsequent grief.. well I just sort of, I fell into this foggy blend of emotional states all at once:
  • overwhelmed by the road ahead 
  • exhilaration at the adventure ahead 
  • contemplation of my life journey so far
  • a deep look at my current state at that moment 

Poems often come to me in this thunder and lightning rush of words and I find myself scrambling to find something to record the wisps I am grasping at before it fades from view. It is a kind of buzz that it hard to explain. Anyway, with this poem I tried to capture this heavy moment. 






~~~   

Follow the Brummet's & Find their  Books: 

Visit: 


~~~

Comments