Skip to main content

Joys of Gardening


-- Quote of the Day -- 

"I value my garden more for being full of blackbirds than of cherries, and very frankly give them fruit for their songs." 

~ Joseph Addison


--  On With the Gardening --

Yesterday a friend and I toured Beltane Nursery (one of the dozens here in Creston) and had a wonderful time. To me, touring a nursery is equivalent to a vacation, a holiday, a trip. I love it so much! Seeing all the amazing textures and colors and plants I'm not yet familiar with, those that tug at my heart and want to bring home one day... it is exciting and fun and educational. I came home with just a FEW boxes of plants. lol 

I had decided to pot up all our perennial herbs from the garden (to give me more room out there) and put them on the deck where I can access them a few steps from the kitchen. So I have 6 pots out there of lemon balm, rosemary, chives, thyme, basil, etc. Inter-planted with those are some allysm that will set off the herb leaf or flower colors nicely.  My neighbor offered me a perennial mum and a small dianthus division so I put those in one of the pots along with some spike greens, petunia, etc. I'll plant out the perennial mum and dianthus later this year when I get back to extending the landscaping, but that won't be until closer to fall I think. 

Today I plan on planting the golden ostrich fern under the pine tree and getting the marigolds out to the garden as well. The night stock over in the landscape bed nearest to the deck... and a few other little planting projects. It is still too cool to put out the heat loving tomatoes and peppers, but I might start hardening them off in the next few days.  .

Crows, blue jays, swallows, humming birds, chickadees, sparrows, robins... dance around the air while I work - and fill the air with song when I'm in the office. ..ahhh the joys of gardening!



 Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!

Comments

  1. That's does sound like a nice vacation. Hope planting goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet