Skip to main content

Author Interview


Author Interview


One of my favourite activities here on this blog is to host author interviews, and today I have the pleasure of featuring Karin Thompson (www.KarinThompson.com) who has recently published a somewhat religious memoir that she hopes will help victims of abuse begin healing, take back their life, and overcome negative habits they've developed - often as a defence mechanism.




Q: It is really nice to have you here today Karen! I know you've recently released a christian-themed inspirational aide book but what I'd really like to learn today is more about your journey as a writer. Tell us, who inspired you to pursue a career in writing?

I wanted to share my life story and to encourage others. This inspired me to write and help others. I had no idea where to start and even how to go about it. But God placed people across my path that we can help me. It is utterly amazing. I write about what I know and subjects that will help others. I wrote mostly on the weekends and over time the book was done.

Q: You mentioned the desire to help others and make a difference; how does writing help you make a difference in the world?

I like to encourage and motivate people. I would like to think that my books help people to cope with their lives better and to also get answers to form questions they have. I offer Christian advice and prayers of comfort to those in need. In my book My Journey To Enjoying My Life, I shared how I overcame an abusive past and I hope that this will help others to see that they too can learn to live a normal healthy life. That their past does not have to keep them back from a bright future. In my book Encouragement for the Weary Soul, I write to the person who is struggling with problems and needs help and advice. I read a lot myself and have found books are truly a wonderful source of answers and help. I wanted to add mine to that list.

Q: What do you do when you are not writing?

I do a fortnightly blog post which goes out on my newsletter. I offer short motivations on FB and Instagram during the week. 

I also love to read, take walks and be with my family. Family is especially important to me and I love spending time with my three grandchildren.

Q: What gave you the idea for this latest book?

I saw that so many people were depressed over their past and were stuck in a time warp in their lives. I know how hard it is to break free from tormenting thoughts and patterns that have been learnt. I wanted to reach out and mother each person with help and advice how to overcome this and raised above it all and become the best you that you can be. I wanted to offer hope and encouragement to hurting people. We live in such a complicated world and people get so hurt by others, I want my books to be able to help others find peace and joy in their lives.

Q: What were some of the challenges you faced in writing your non-fiction books?

I have found that most people read novels – fictions. The non-fiction market seems smaller. I have had to do lots of marketing to advertise my books as no one knows who I am. This can prove to be expensive and challenging. There is a lot to learn and the journey only starts once you have published. It is a giant learning curve. Learning what journey is best for your book sales and what is not.

Q: How do your friends and family feel about your writing venture in general? 

I have been so blessed my family and friends support my work. They have brought my books and have encouraged me. It seems so strange to see my books at my friends’ houses. They often contact me and let me know how much it is blessing them as they read it. The support is so encouraging, and I am so blessed to have it.

Q: What do you do to unwind and relax?

I love a good movie. I enjoy the outdoors – a nice walk always makes me feel great. Relaxing with a coffee and a good book is also one of my favourite things to do. 
 
Q: What is the best advice you were given about writing?

Do not hurry, let it flow. 

When no thoughts come just pause and leave it, walk away from it. 

Take a pause break, the work always comes back in time.

Get a great editor to check your work. Pay the money needed for a great editor it will be worth it in the end.

Q: What is your most embarrassing writer moment?

Having to redo my book because spelling mistakes were found. This was so hard and embarrassing. I had check it repeatedly and never saw the spelling errors. Now I have an editor that does this for me.

Q: What business challenges have you faced as a writer? 

Selling my book. Learning how to market and get my name known.
I have had to create a website. It was hard at first to put myself “out there”. I am normally a private person but with my book, I had to join different avenues to market my book and sell it.   The book needs to continually be promoted. Writing it seems the easy path but getting it out into the  world seems harder to me




We invite our readers to check out Karin's Facebook and Instagram pages to connect with her and learn more. Thanks for dropping in for this interview, Karin!

...For those of you reading this, wondering if we might consider interviewing you... we just might. Send a query our way. :)

--
Visit the Brummets @ www.BrummetMedia.ca
--







 

Comments